General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

increasing idle?? car sputtering...

Old 08-14-2006, 12:31 PM
letas87
Unregistered
Default increasing idle?? car sputtering...

o.k. so i have an 87 accord ex. just a plain ole accord nothing fancy. it has 275000 miles and its tryin real hard to stay alive. i just recently replaced the thermostat and a heater hose, {had to splice it}. i know the head is cracked. but the most recent problem is this.......... my gas millage is HORRIBLE like 10 to 13 miles a gallon. i changed the air filter, {it needed it bad}, and when i did i cleaned the choke and ect. well now that i did this my poor ole honda sputters, its like its not getting enough gas or like theres air in the gas line. its slow off the line and almost dies when at a stop. the rpms are staying below 1. in the past when it did this we increased the idle, {i had help}. i dont know what to do or how to do this myself. i try to do as much of the work on him,{the honda} myself, im poor and i enjoy doing the work. so any suggestions would help. when i cleaned it all it had a ton of gas and lotsa sticky crap all built up on it, i dont know if this is of importance or not. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Default RE: increasing idle?? car sputtering...

Hey i had somewhat of a similar problem with my 91. It would seem to run ok, but got bad milage and would almost stall when i took it out of gear.

Turns out my ignition timing was off about ten degrees. My trusty mechanic set it right for me in 5 mins (No charge) and now my problem is gone.