General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspection failed, obd not ready please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Inspection failed, obd not ready please help!

Need some help guys! I know there are plenty of experienced people on this forum! I just took my car for inspection, it passed safety, but failed emmissions. Thre report said that the OBD is not ready. The mechanic gave me a print out, asked me if I had recently disconnected the battery, and told me to drive it for 70 miles and come back for emmission only inspection. What could be the cause of OBD not ready? Can I trust what the mechanic told me? I haven't touched the battery, but I did change a fuse for the accessory socket, could that be the cause of the onboard computer not being ready? PLEASE HELP!

Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

what year/model accord are we talking about here?

Old 02-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

2004, v6 ex-l

Old 02-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

On older accords, you could pull a fuse to clear the OBD1 computer. It was the radio/backup fuse.

Your car may have a fuse that does the same thing. I am not as familiar with the newer accords.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

With OBD-2 there are a handful of items that have to set their "readyness". Each readyness code has it's own requirements for being set, including things like temperatures, speeds, & stop/start cycles. It's not as simple as a set number of miles. If you drive the car for 3 weeks but never exceed 20mph, it probably won't set all the readyness codes. Or if you get on the highway & drive 400 miles without stopping, or other unusual situations.

The idea of readyness codes is to catch the people who reset their ECU right before a smog test.

edit...
It would help to know WHICH readyness code is not set.

Last edited by JimBlake; 02-17-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by leon718
Need some help guys! I know there are plenty of experienced people on this forum! I just took my car for inspection, it passed safety, but failed emmissions. Thre report said that the OBD is not ready. The mechanic gave me a print out, asked me if I had recently disconnected the battery, and told me to drive it for 70 miles and come back for emmission only inspection. What could be the cause of OBD not ready? Can I trust what the mechanic told me? I haven't touched the battery, but I did change a fuse for the accessory socket, could that be the cause of the onboard computer not being ready? PLEASE HELP!
hi there

I had the same problem in my 97 accord lx fill up your tank with premium gas and dive around till its almost empty fill half the tank again and go to canadiantire there is a product called "GUARANTEED TO PASS" drive again about 120km and then go for the test again. I hope this will help you.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all the replies. I drove the car in the city and highway for about 120 miles. Took the car back to the station, and now instead of 4 sensors, 3 are still not ready. Seems like the EGS system passed now, but the oxygen, catytic, and evaporation systems still not ready! Any suggestions or past experiences? Should I just take it to the dealer? (i really don't want to do that but I feel like it will come down to that)

Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

P.S. I also took my car to Autozone right after it failed the second time. They connected their little computer to the ODB system in my car and no error codes were displayed, what is going on?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A "Not Ready" simply means the OBD2 system checks are not complete. When this is displayed some emissions tests are failed. The catalytic converter test can take some time to complete. You can recheck again later to determine when all system checks are complete. If Check Engine Light does not illuminate, the tests will eventually complete.

good luck

Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you for the info. Is it ok that the Autozone computer said "no codes"? Should I be able to see those codes if the emission checks are not complete?

Quick Reply: Inspection failed, obd not ready please help!