General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing switchback/dual color LEDs for turn signals. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Default Installing switchback/dual color LEDs for turn signals. Need help!

Hello,

I am installing these dual color LEDs for my turn signals.

TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING 6K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 60 TURN SIGNAL BULBS 1157 2057 | 1 PAIR

I need to install a load resistor to lower the voltage to the LEDs. In order to do this, the resistor splices the ground and the turn signal wires.

My question is, since there are three wires, how do I identify the two that I need? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by devonhiee; 02-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, confused. First what year and are these in the front or rear.

Second, this "resistor" is suppose to connect to what wires (two hot, one ground ?)

Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

those look plug and play to me.
every LED bulb I ever bought that was already in a housing I just popped them in and they worked fine.
Nowhere that I could see on the specs for those bulbs does it say you need to wire in a resistor.
Resistors are normally needed for when you are using raw LEDs and soldering them to a circuit board.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

V-leds led bulbs generally already have resistors installed in them. At some other Honda forums, a lot of people buy V-leds bulb. That bulb should be plug and play. On certain of V-leds better bulbs (e.g., license plate bulbs, turn signals, etc.) they also use bridge rectifiers, etc. unlike some other sellers.

See their blog:

"http://vleds.wordpress.com/"

Old 02-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Hi guys

Originally Posted by poorman212
Sorry, confused. First what year and are these in the front or rear.

Second, this "resistor" is suppose to connect to what wires (two hot, one ground ?)
1999 Honda Accord. Front turn signals.

Resistor plugs into one ground and the wire that controls the turn signal itself. Here's the resistor and the diagram:

6 OHM 50W 2 BULB LED LOAD EQUALIZER RESISTORS TURN SIGNAL BLINKER FIX WITH MOUNTING PLATES AND COVERS | 1 PAIR

Originally Posted by Crispin
those look plug and play to me.
every LED bulb I ever bought that was already in a housing I just popped them in and they worked fine.
Nowhere that I could see on the specs for those bulbs does it say you need to wire in a resistor.
Resistors are normally needed for when you are using raw LEDs and soldering them to a circuit board)
Not for all cars. For 6th gen, they need the resistor. The thing is that the car sends too high of a current (for the incandescent filament) that it needs to be regulated or else the blinkers will blink really fast/hyper flash. Here's a video of what I am talking about:

Hyperflash
grand prix hyper flash turn signal fix - YouTube

Originally Posted by redbull-1
V-leds led bulbs generally already have resistors installed in them. At some other Honda forums, a lot of people buy V-leds bulb. That bulb should be plug and play. On certain of V-leds better bulbs (e.g., license plate bulbs, turn signals, etc.) they also use bridge rectifiers, etc. unlike some other sellers.

See their blog:

"http://vleds.wordpress.com/"
Their 1157 turn signals do not have them.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like the bulb you are replacing has two filaments (the 1157 diagram)

The plug to the turn signal bulb should have 4 wires. Two should be black. It is possible that there are only three wires with only one black wire.

You will need a volt meter to figure out which wire the the positive. Turn on the turn signal, but do not turn on the headlights. Check for pulsating voltage (12V to 0V) on each of the non-black wires on the electrical connector. That will be the + for the turn signal.

Double check by turning on the headlights with no turn signal. The other non-black wire should have constant voltage.

You should be able to look at the bulb to figure out what filament is the turn signal. The two contacts for the turn signal filament should touch the pulsating 12V wire and the proper black ground wire.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
It looks like the bulb you are replacing has two filaments (the 1157 diagram)

The plug to the turn signal bulb should have 4 wires. Two should be black. It is possible that there are only three wires with only one black wire.

You will need a volt meter to figure out which wire the the positive. Turn on the turn signal, but do not turn on the headlights. Check for pulsating voltage (12V to 0V) on each of the non-black wires on the electrical connector. That will be the + for the turn signal.

Double check by turning on the headlights with no turn signal. The other non-black wire should have constant voltage.

You should be able to look at the bulb to figure out what filament is the turn signal. The two contacts for the turn signal filament should touch the pulsating 12V wire and the proper black ground wire.
Regarding the turn signal. That means that I have to turn on the car completely then, correct? Only the parking lights/headlights come on without the keys in the ignition. In order for the turn signals to light up, I need to have the car running.

If there are four wires, are two of them ground? Would you happen to know where I can look for pictures of the socket online? I haven't gotten to the bulbs yet (those darn washers are giving me a hard time ATM).

Thanks for the help! I have electrical experience (not with automotives) but seeing that this is a car (and my only one) I dont want to mess things up.

So basically, leave the parking lights off. Turn on the signal. Connect the negative probe to the chassis and use the positive probe to test the two colored wires. Whichever wire gives me fluctuating voltage readings, that's the one I want. To double check, turn on parking lights and check if the other wire has a constant voltage?

Last edited by devonhiee; 02-07-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

So basically, leave the parking lights off. Turn on the signal. Connect the negative probe to the chassis and use the positive probe to test the two colored wires. Whichever wire gives me fluctuating voltage readings, that's the one I want. To double check, turn on parking lights and check if the other wire has a constant voltage?
That is correct.

The hazard lights use the turn signal lights, so you can use them.

Each bulb is really two bulbs in one, so each filament has a ground wire.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM

Thx a lot PAHonda that cleared up a lot.