General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

interior lights out, need help

Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Default interior lights out, need help

i need help replacing some interior lights that went out in my 03 accord. the TCS and sunroof button lights and the map light in the cieling are out. and the drivers side heated seat light is intermittent. can someone help me out on how to get out the map & TCS/sunroof lights and also tell me where i can purchase new bulbs for these. i know how to get out the heated seat light but i need a bulb for that too. TIA

Old 07-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: interior lights out, need help

did these all go out at the same time? if so, might be something else...

Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Good Lord....talk about bulb failure. You might want to check your battery and fuse box....just in case.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:18 AM

no no, the TCS sunroof and map lights were out when i bought the car. then the heated seat light started acting up. it may just be a lose connection sense its on and off though

Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 PM

New member here. How did you figure out how to change the bulbs? I have an '04 EX

Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LeeaB
New member here. How did you figure out how to change the bulbs? I have an '04 EX
Which bulbs do you want to change?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Which bulbs do you want to change?
I think my husband has figured it out but it's the left map light and the one(s) over the back seat. Now the passenger map light turns on when done physically but not when door is opened.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LeeaB
I think my husband has figured it out but it's the left map light and the one(s) over the back seat. Now the passenger map light turns on when done physically but not when door is opened.
Technical Info.
The map lights have dual functionality for EX level trim; (1) turns on if pressed, and (2) works if door opened. Because the map lights have "dual functionality" there are two separate ground sources involved in the circuit. (1) When the map light is pressed on, the light switches gets their ground source from the base of the unit. (2) If a door is opened, the light switches gets their ground source through wiring coming from the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU). – All the individual doors switches (at each door) are wired into the MICU (located in the under-dash fuse box).

It probably is the micro-switch at the map light base unit, unless the base unit has corrosion, etc.. The micro-switch has three small receptacles which interface with three metal blades. One of these metal blades is not making sufficient contact inside the switch for the passenger side maplight bulb (probably the blade for the ground source coming from the MICU).

Replacing the individual console lamp light micro-switch will probably fix the problem. There are two micro-switches in the base unit (one for driver side and one for passenger side). You only need one; but, may want to buy an extra one.

Mouser Electronics sells the ALPS switch (ALPS part number SPED210200) for $1.84 each, plus shipping.

Honda does not sell the individual light micro-switches, only the entire base unit (Honda part number 34404-SDA-A21) which list for $51; but, you can find online for about $37 plus shipping.

Your issue is relatively common for some Hondas, see this link regarding replacement from a Honda Pilot forum.

Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums - View Single Post - Dome light problem

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-03-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: grammar, etc.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:04 AM

Thank ya much! I'll let you know if it works.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Although this thread's last post was over two years ago, it was a great help on my 2004 Accord. A detailed 'how-to' thread, not only for the map lights but also the lock on the sunglasses holder door, appears at the following link.

Thread link: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-photos-62800/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: interior lights out, need help