General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermitant starting issues and dieing while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Spdfrk1990
Unregistered
Default Intermitant starting issues and dieing while driving

My friend has a 98 accord 4cylinder and is having issues sometimes with it starting and in the past few weeks or so it has quit on him a few times while driving. Now I know it has not had a tune up in a lonnnng time. I was thinking its either the icm or the fuel pump. If it is doing it intermitant tho the fuel pump might show good pressure. Is there a way I can test the ICM and coil?? What do you guys think?

Thanks
John

Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Intermitant starting issues and dieing while driving

I would definitely change the spark plugs, dist. cap, rotor, air filter since they are all maintenance items. Use only NGK plugs that are OEM.

Before you replace something expensive like the coil or ICM, you should diagnose the problem first. Since it doesn't happen every time you start/drive the car, it will be a bit more difficult.

Does the tach immediately drop to zero and the engine dies instantly? When it doesn't start what exactly happens?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Spdfrk1990
Unregistered

What he told me is it just takes longer to start sometimes and it died twice while driving I havnt got a chance to look at it yet. I did tell him we should do a tune up though. I just have a feeling its the icm I heard thats a common problems on these and it seems to fit the issue.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Spdfrk1990
Unregistered

What should the fuel pressure be on these?? How can i test the icm or coil also.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

If you live near an O'Reillys, they can test the ICM. The coil has some resistance tests, but a coil that checks ok can still fail. A timing light will indicate that spark is getting to the plugs.

Stalling while driving usually points towards the ignition switch although other things are possible.

I would do the tuneup and see if it is something as simple as worn out spark plugs.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Spdfrk1990
Unregistered

Yeh we could do a tune up first i guess and see what happens. I called autozone and they said they couldnt test this icm not sure why tho.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

If you go to the http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html site, there is a ton of excellent information about troubleshooting starting/running problems. It has a procedure to test the ICM, but you will have to consult a shop manual as well. In the DIY section, there is a thread with online manuals. There is a manual for a 98-02 accord that you can download. It is an .iso file, so you will have to burn it to a cd.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Spdfrk1990
Unregistered

Here is what he just told me about the starting issue.
when it has problems starting, it's weird[/align]it's like it starts up and immediately dies[/align]

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

When it starts, release the key only partway. Find a position where the starter motor quits running, but don't let the key go all the way back. If you can keep it running by holding the key like that, then it's the ignition switch.

OTOH, if you can't get it to run like that, it still doesn't prove that the switch is OK. Youhave tocheck continuity across the different circuits thru the switch.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Spdfrk1990
Unregistered

K thanks for the replies man. Would the switch cause it to die tho while running?

Quick Reply: Intermitant starting issues and dieing while driving