General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Open Honda Recall # 08-043 =

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Default Open Honda Recall # 08-043 =

Windshield wiper motor does not work. I have complained in earlier threads (o2 sensor) about what a pain it is to go to my Honda dealer. When I had them replace the o2 sensor a couple weeks ago they "fixed" the latest recall for wiper motor.

There was nothing wrong with mine but they replaced it anyhow (cause Honda pays them!!). I figured, why not, might as well get a new motor for my 2003 Accord EX. BUT NOW, the spray can't get over the wiper blades. The water just comes out like a "small drinking fountain". No power. Seems to be enough fluid, just no power to get up and over the blades. Can't even reach the windshield when the blades are pointing up. Both are like that.

Is there a nozzle (like on a garden hose) that gives it the spray power? Why would the flow be so weak? The wiper motor wouldn't effect that would it? They are pointed in the right direction just very weak flow. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Well a big problem is actually the detergent in the wiper fluid, the detergent dries at the nozzle opening and then acts to plug up the spray nozzle.
The spray nozzles are usually easy to remove and then soak them and swish them around in hot water.
I once tried to just blow them out with compressed air, but the risk is the nozzle coming apart from the pressure.
Also be sure the feed tubing isn't pinched somewhere

Last edited by hondadude; 04-06-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Are we talking about the wiper motor or the little pump for the washer?

I had a recall done for the WIPER motor on our Accord, quite a while ago. It didn't affect the washer at all.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Default Coincident?

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Are we talking about the wiper motor or the little pump for the washer?

I had a recall done for the WIPER motor on our Accord, quite a while ago. It didn't affect the washer at all.
It's the "windshield wiper motor". I agree it should have nothing to do with the spray EXCEPT it doesn't work like it did BEFORE THEY fixed the motor. It doesn't appear to be clogged. I get fluid flow it just only sprays 2-3 inches. Like a garden hose with no nozzle. It will squirt a couple feet by itself, but if you put a nozzle on it, it will spray 25-30 feet. Same amount of water, just different result.

My fear is that the dealer will blame it on me. Maybe it's a coincident. But the first time I use the sprayer after THEY FIX the wiper motor, it doesn't work?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Well, it shouldn't be related, unless they pinched a hose down there when they dismantled the cowling.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Default Maybe I'll just change the pump?

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Well, it shouldn't be related, unless they pinched a hose down there when they dismantled the cowling.
I stopped at Advance Auto to pick up some stuff and asked about a "spray pump". Should have gotten a P# but didn't. Anyhow, it was $15 and I was thinking about replacing it myself just to avoid the pain and humiliation of going to my dealer. Where is the pump located? Does it show, I hate my dealer? I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX. I have a manual and Haynes, but don't see anything on it. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

It's #1, looks like it's mounted directly on the washer tank, down low. Maybe you have to remove the bumper skin or the inner fender liner to get it.

But a new pump won't help if the REAL problem is a pinched hose...

Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the diagram Jim. I looked at it from inner fender liner. #4 is the hose to check for a pinch? Didn't see any pinch but could only see from the motor to the top of the wheel. Looked OK and had some play. Hope to look at it this weekend. Thanks again for the location.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 PM

Do you think it's possible they pinched the hose when replacing the motor?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sure, when they replaced the wiper motor, they had to dismantle part of the cowling around the wipers. So more likely something happened to the hoses within that dashed outline B-51.

Check ANY part of the hose that you can see.

Quick Reply: Open Honda Recall # 08-043 =