General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Next ABS question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Default Next ABS question

Again with the 94 Accord. Is the ABS system two wheel or four wheel? If two, I'm guess that it is the front two.

How would I identify the bad sensor?

Also where can I find them for $50 as described in the reply to my other post? I checked a couple online sources and they were closer to $150.

Also, if all else fails, is there an easy way to remove the instrument cluster?

Thanks for the quick response to the other question.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

System is 4-wheel. You need to extract the error code/s by shorting service check connector under glove box, turning keyswitch On, and reading flashes (all short flashes). Code 4-1 = ffff-f. There is a single long (2-sec) flash first to show the ABS bulb light is good. W/ error code the fault can be determined and system restored.

Check ebay or car-part.com for wheel sensors (used and new). I may have been wrong about wheel sensor cost, but I've bought modulator pumps through car-part.com for $35. Wheel sensor will require some calls to local salvage yards to locate. Car-part does not have the wheel sensor as a listed item.

You don't know it's a wheel sensor so get the codes first. Even if wheel sensor code is presented, the sensor may be OK. Clean sensor by removing and polishing sensor, then stuff a rag down the sensor hole and turn wheel to polish ABS tone ring on the CV axle or rear axle. Dirt/grease can degrade the signal from the sensor.

good luck

Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Default Abs

When you start the engine do you hear the ABS solenoids run. This should only happen for a few seconds. If you hear the ABS pump run for a longer time every time you start the car you may have a leaking actuator in the module. check for leaks at modulator. I believe there are three solenoids in the modulator . Some years these can be replaced. there are two for the front wheels and one for the rears..You may find the procedure in the DIY section. Good luck.