General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Default Intermittent starting issue

Started happening a few weeks ago, one day out of the blue, it wouldn't start. Thinking it was the battery, I grabbed my jump box, hooked it up and fired right up, happened one more time and didn't happen again for a couple weeks. Any who, long story short, it's been happening with more frequency of late. It's happened a bunch but off the top of my head can't think of what it does, but it's as if the starter isn't doing anything. I did find if I bump the key several times it will hit and start just fine. After searching a bit it seems to be the main relay. Also seems if it is the relay, it may be repairable with a little re-soldering, insight on either is appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 08-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

The main relay has nothing to do with the starter spinning the engine. It sounds like your starter isn't doing that. (A bad main relay results in the fuel pump not running.)

Try the caveman test: While someone turns the key, hit your starter with a broom handle or a stick of some kind. A 22 year old starter (or its solenoid) might just have contacts or brushes worn down so they don't always make contact.

I forget which year/version is easy to dismantle & replace contacts. Regardless, many people just replace the starter if the caveman test makes it start.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

The 94 to 96 manual transmission starters are pretty simple to replace the solenoid and contacts. Pretty simple and cheap repair the solenoid. Did the same repair on my 95 accord with a manual transmission. Likely have to get the solenoid and contacts on ebay.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:22 PM

I got a kit on Amazon, contacts and plunger for just under $20 w/next day shipping.
After getting them it was fine for several days and only the last few days was getting really bad.
I just replaced them today, didn't even have to take the starter out, did remove the battery & tray however.
Started 5 times in a row first key turn.
Thanks!

Old 09-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. Too often people don't post the results, Glad it worked for you.