General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intro/How old is too old a Honda

Old 09-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Intro/How old is too old a Honda

Hello
Personal info:
Vehicle: 92 Honda Accord 2 door LX, auto, a/c, am/fm/cassette

I have been looking on Traderonline.com for a used Honda Accord. I input my price and my locale and despite going 75 miles out of town on the search I see bunches of '95 and '96 models for sale. They have 150-180K miles on them.

These aren't hot rods or tricked-out Hondas; these are good old Mommy and Daddy vehicles. How old are most Honda Accords out there? I don't want one so old that says "bum" or "white trash" or "ghetto". I remember the time when I drove a Corsica and saw some bearded scruffball in the same color/model vehicle as mine. Is it also true that Accord miles are better than, say, Toyota Camry or Kneescrape (Nissan) Maximas?

My father's '92 Honda (the General Tso) is a wonderful vehicle and is very responsive. It rides well and doesn't burn the gas my own Explorer does. At 220K+ miles it is doing very well and has given me a Honda addiction. This is despite blowing smoke now and then, having an improperly shifting transmission (it gets drain/fill soon) and this hideous dung odor. Of course the clutch on the A/C is raising heck but keeps me cool enough.

I had bled the brakes and put on new front pads. The rear brakes have new shoes. It may need a master cylinder due to mushiness but for now I'm happy with its stopping power.

Replies are appreciated. I hope Honda keeps up the wonderful work it is doing.
KAT

Old 09-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Intro/How old is too old a Honda

Honda's are too old when you can't stand the look of yours anymore

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 09-20-2006, 02:31 PM

I just recently sold my 94 civic with 140k miles on it, bought a 94 accord with 142k miles, I have an 81 civic station wagon 1500 that has 138 or 238k miles... Lightshow has an accord on here with 245k miles, other guys on here are putting on turbos with 8 psi to 140k mile engines without any issues... so mileage/age isn't a huge deal as long as it's not rusted and make sure that the timing belt has been changed.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:25 PM
OlSkool
Unregistered

I've got something for you all to laugh at....1986 Honda Accord LXi hatchback.....yeah...I know, time to upgrade but I like the car alot. With the A20A3 PGM F.I. 2.0L its a great gas getter and the interior is immaculant. With the need for body work, the cars looks rival its performance greatly. Being driven by a woman old enough to be Jesus' sister and only a 120K miles, the rust is from sitting, not misuse. When I drove off in it felt a bit sluggish from sitting, the woman had her liscense taken away (there is a God after all, I mean this woman made George Burns look like Brad Pitt, one foot in the grave and barely standing on the other) and it sat for two years on an 1/8th tank of gas. I ran a Street Mix of NOS octane booster with midgrade 89 on my first fillup and noticed a great change within the first week. The tranny was really responsive (4-speed auto) and I was impressed with a second gear chirp. Now I've had the car about a month and a half and I've junked the 13 in. skateboard wheels and put some 15 in. directional alloy wheels off of a saturn coupe (looks sharp I think), Intimidator Cold Air Filter, and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. Now I can turn heads with a decent launch with just the right mix of squeal and smoke and a strong second gear errrrrrr. I'm hooked on this lil car now, and intend to make a street sleeper out of it within the next two years. I'm going to start posting pics pretty soon, but like I said it runs like a champ regardless of the looks. It's goldish tanish ish.....yeah, but the chocolate interior looks like it just rolled off the floor, no ashtrays when I got it, bitched about that a bit but everything gleamed like it was wet. I can say I'm a Honda junkie now, all I need is some good sources on engine mods.....I've done alot of research and I know I'm limited on mods, but I know there IS options, and I was hoping to hear them, engine swaps don't scare me a bit, and tranny too....if anyone knows of good powerplants, or even strong bolt-ons, I'm open to all suggestions. Feel free to reply with all thoughts on the matter. Thanx.
OlSkool

Old 09-25-2006, 02:53 AM
malinowskiskiski
Unregistered

Well I am driving an 87 Accord and I love the car! It has low low miles for being 19 going on 20 (163k), and is clean, in great shape and running strong!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

1994 Honda accord LX sold with 145K on it

1998 Honda accord LX V6 traded in for a 2002 Acura CL type S with 40K on it now it is at 43K..........