General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LONG CRANK TIME IN COLD WEATHER

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: LONG CRANK TIME IN COLD WEATHER

It looks to me like pintle up is closed position, and should be open if temp is < 86F. Perhaps someone else can confirm if pintle up is closed.

good luck

Old 01-04-2008, 05:46 AM

UPDATE. STILL HAVE COLD START ISSUE.
HAVE HAD SOME TIME TO LOOK AT CAR AND FOUND WITH TIMING LIGHT HOOKED UP AT CRANK. THERE IS NO PLUSE. CHECKED 4 PINS ON COIL AND FOUND THAT IT HAD AN OPEN LEG. PIGGY- BACKED IN NEW COIL NO HELP. STILL NO SPARK WITH SPARK PLUG GOING TO BODY GROUND (UNTIL RIGHT BEFOE YOU TURN OFF CAR. PLAYED WITH KEY NO HELP). I WAS GOING TO LOOK AT ICM NEXT. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ?,,,,KEN

Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 AM

The 4 pins to the coil represent two pins to each winding; primary and secondary. A VOM resistance measurement should show high resistance 13-19 Kohms on secondary and low resistance (< 5 ohms but check spec) on primary. If either primary or secondary circuit is "open" or infinite resistance at any time, the coil is defective.

Note, you need the pin-outs of the coil to be sure to measure resistance across correct pins. The primary and secondary circuits are isolated from each other so a resistance measurement from a primary pin to a secondary pin should show infinite resistance.

good luck

Old 01-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

It still may be a flaky ignition switch?

You said wiggling the key doesn't help. But that's a kind of one-sidedtest; itonly means something if it DOES duplicate the problem. It doesn't completely rule out the ignition switch.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i dont see how the ign switch could be causing this problem if it cranks fine, but just takes awile to start.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: collierville

UPDATE. STILL HAVE COLD START ISSUE.
HAVE HAD SOME TIME TO LOOK AT CAR AND FOUND WITH TIMING LIGHT HOOKED UP AT CRANK. THERE IS NO PLUSE. CHECKED 4 PINS ON COIL AND FOUND THAT IT HAD AN OPEN LEG. PIGGY- BACKED IN NEW COIL NO HELP. STILL NO SPARK WITH SPARK PLUG GOING TO BODY GROUND (UNTIL RIGHT BEFOE YOU TURN OFF CAR. PLAYED WITH KEY NO HELP). I WAS GOING TO LOOK AT ICM NEXT. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ?,,,,KEN
Something unusual here. If coil primary or secondary is open, the car will never start. I have heard of an intermittent coil, but usually the other way, coil fails on warmup, not at cold start.

good luck

Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think pretty much all cars take longer to crank in the morning and in the cold. Mine does the exact same thing as yours, only not nearly as long a crank time.

try starting for the first time in the afternoon sometime. If it starts quicker, it might have something to do with dew settling on parts in the morning. Ive noticed that when my car is parked in the garage overnight it tends to start better in the morning, even if the car and the outside are the same temperature. my theory is dew. Starting it in the afternoon sometime takes care of the dew thing.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: nafango2

i dont see how the ign switch could be causing this problem if it cranks fine, but just takes awile to start.
The "ON" position closes the ignition circuit to power the ECU, etc.

The "START" position closes the starter trigger circuit while maintaining the ignition circuit closed.

My thought was that the ignition circuit was flaky while the starter trigger circuit was solid.

As usual, it's a possibility to check out.Can't promisethat it's really the problem.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Thank You fo all the info.
The coil is new in car. (no cost)
I will try a new icm later today. (no cost)
Will also look into the igition switch. Witch looks like part #10 (35130-sm5-003)from honda parts store.
Can some tell me if that is correct part.. Thx ken

Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM

cough, icm, cough

Quick Reply: LONG CRANK TIME IN COLD WEATHER