General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

loud noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM
stevenb17
Unregistered
Default loud noise when accelerating

i have a '00 Accord and when i accelerate and the pedal is in the right spot i hear a loud chirping or whistling kind of noise. any idea's of what that could be?

Old 10-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: loud noise when accelerating

CAI?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:18 PM
stevenb17
Unregistered

i just installed a SRI but it was happening before i put it in. it only got louder after i installed it...

Old 10-27-2008, 10:46 PM

it could be the air getting sucked in. a sri changes the sound of ur engine. especially under hard acceleration. to check, start ur car with the hood open, have him rev it up and down, and put ur hea near the end of the intake

Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 PM

I would inspect all intake hoses, Vacuum,throttle,etc..

Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 AM

x2 on vacuum connections .... also look at exhaust gaskets for black carbon indicating leakage.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:25 PM
stevenb17
Unregistered

i know it's not the intake itself becuase it was happening before i put it in. i'll make sure to check everything though.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Guys I've been procrastinating on posting about the EXACT same problem.

I've been dealing with this high pitched noise for several several months, trying to figure out what it is.

My CAI definitely makes a noise, but it's not the noise I'm talking about. I would describe the CAI noise as a "whistle," where I would call this unknown noise a high pitched "squeal."

Now I've heard loose belts squealing before, and it sounds nothing like this. Just to make sure it's not a belt, I've put pressure on the belts that are visible to see if I can induce the noise or cut it out. Nothing happens. I tried to figure out how to loosen the tension on the timing belt then bringing it back to normal....but I ended up cancelling that mini-project in fear of 'messin up big time'. I don't think it's the timing belt anyways.

What it DOES sound like is a squealing bearing. My first thought when I heard the noise was "Oh, my throwout bearing is going bad." When I found out automatics dont even have that, I lol'd @ my stupidity.

No particular action will induce the squeal, except for when pressure is put on the engine. I mean, when the engine moves. When I pop it into gear from neutral, it squeals like crazy. SOmetimes worse than others. This is what made me think it was something to do with my transmission (since it sounded like a bearing, I assumed throw out bearing). After some studying and messing with it, I found that when I pop it into gear, the engine will move back a little bit, thus causing the squeal. So if it's in neutral and not moving, I can push on the block with my hands (when not hot) and I can induce the squeal.

HAF, what are some steps I can take to help me fix this problem?!

**for the record, I do have a small exhaust leak between my headers and exhaust manifold. I don't think this is the problem though, because the squeal sounds like metal against metal, not a "whistle" sound

Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 PM

hmmm .... bearing/pulley in the alternator or power steering pump?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 PM
stevenb17
Unregistered

with mine it's not when i put it into gear it's when im accelerating and it only happens when the pedal is in the right spot. if i give it more gas the sound goes away and if i take off a little gas it goes away. it's deffinately not the intake. it's a completely different sound. it's hard to explain what it sounds like other than a chirping kind of noise.

Quick Reply: loud noise when accelerating