General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Low Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Default Low Idle

I have a '97 Accord LX 2.2 F22B2 that has developed a rough idle w/hesitation, and a drop in RPMs sometimes when the A/C is on. I am counting on this forum to finally be the one to solve my problem!!!

I have changed the plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, cleaned the throttle body (you can't convince me that dust can screw with a hole the size of a golf ball), air filter is fine, fuel filter is new, and fuel injectors were dirty as hell but clean now. Mileage is 193,000.

Can I clean the idle up or "whatever it is on a Honda" valve? The dealer said I could not, that it usually didn't work, and a new valve is almost $300. So either way I'm not buying one, but I need to know what the problem is. HELP IS SO GREATLY APPRECIATED AND ABSORBED.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Default RE: Low Idle

Browse through out DIY section, there is a lot of articles on this. The Valve you're thinking of (I believe) is the FITV Fast Idle something Valve (or whatever) and it can be cleaned. LOTS of info on here about it. Here's a good post

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_62823/tm.htm

Old 08-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

chk engine lite on ?? did you remove the adjust screw in the throttle body and clean it and the port with carb cleaner ??

Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 PM

Thanks. The check engine light came on several weeks ago with a misfire code...not back on in almost two months.

Where is this adjust screw? Is the the big phillips head in the front with the throttle cable attached? If so, I tried to move it but a regular screwdriver stripped it out...it is very very tight.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 PM

And I just found a website saying that 1996 and newer do not have a FITV? Maybe this is why the dealer said I can't clean anything??? Getting confused and angry...

Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

#14 is the Fast-Idle Thermo Valve (FITV).
#19 is the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV).
Clean them both. I think I've said that the FITV disappeared on later years. That's true for Integra in '96, but I incorrectly assumed it was across the board. My '98 Accord doesn't have an FITV so I guess that's the first Accord year when it disappeared. The newer IACV includes the function of both valves.

Thank you Jim for the picture,,, And # 1 is the adjustment screw that i was refering to,, remove it and clean it and the passage with carb cleaner , then adjust the idle ,,
Wow, I coulda sworn I didn't write that part......HAHAHA

Old 08-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

The idle adjust screw is that needle shown as #1. It's inside a hole above the bore of the throttle body. About 11 oclock I guess.

After cleaning everything, here's the procedure...
1 - throttle cable must have some slack.
2 - mechanical stop on the throttle must not hold it open except for just barely enough so it doesn't wedge & stick closed.
3 - warmed up completely, turn off ALL accessories.

4 - Unplug the wire from the IACV; idle speed will drop; nurse it so it doesn't stall.

5 - Adjust that brass needle valve #1 for an idle speed of 500 rpm; that's called the "BASE" idle.

6 - Plug the IACV back in; the idle will jump higher.

7 - Cool down, reset your ECU.

8 - Start the engine and let it warm up completely - WITHOUT touching the gas pedal AT ALL. This forces the ECU to re-learn the behavior of the idle control system.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:19 AM

Can anyone offer suggestions for removing the IACV? The bolts are obviously on the back and I can't find an easy or good way to get to them! Thanks

Old 08-12-2007, 05:11 PM

New question...is there a way to take apart the actual IACV? I got it off and cleaned it, which helped, but my idle still drops a little tiny bit with A/C on. So any suggestions or is it possible to take the IACV apart?

Quick Reply: Low Idle