General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance intervals for new Accord V6 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Default Maintenance intervals for new Accord V6 coupe

All right, I know that this is a really stupid question, but this is my first new car. I have just under 5K miles at present, and the dealer is leaving messages on my voicemail telling me I'm overdue for maintenance. I bought the car on 1-16-12.

At what point should I take it in for its first routine checkup? I've looked through the maintenance log that came with the car, but can't find a clear answer there. Google searches seem to be telling me 7500 miles, or 3750 if driving in rough conditions. The car is driving fine, not burning oil/wobbling at speed/etc. I'm concerned about staying within the terms of my warranty and lease, more than anything.

Also, is there a directory anywhere of Honda-certified independent shops? Thanks! (hopes for replies other than "this has to be a troll, nobody's that dumb..." )

Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Your display should display when the car is due for an oil change. Somewhere in the owner's manual, you should find the maintenance

Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 PM

I think they want you to change the break-in oil at 5000 miles, and there may be other maintenance due also. It should be just a basic inspection at this point. Your car should have a Maintenance Minder system, which will display a code when maintenance is due. Your owners' manual should have all the details on what each code means.

My car doesn't have the maintenance minder, but I'm not sure I like the idea. I like to know when a big maintenance job is coming up. I could easily figure that out with the old time/mileage intervals. I guess, when a big job comes up with the maintenance minder, you will not be able to anticipate it so easily. The code for the timing belt job should be $$$$.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Like others stated, refer to your owner's manual. 2006 to current Accords have the Maintenance Minder.

The oil life indicator varies from owner to owner. The Maintenance Minder indicates "calculated" engine oil life. Keep in mind, the oil life is calculated based on engine operating conditions, etc.; it does not actually analyze the oil quality or the level. For example, some people drive longer trips, some shorter trips, some people in traffic a lot, some drive it hard and rev it up, etc. -- You still need to check the actual oil level with the dipstick.

Generally, you will hear some people say to change it when it reach 15% oil life. With the exception of the first oil change (there is molybdenum in the engine to help during engine break-in), I personally would not go all the way to 15%. You can and may not experience any problems. Your choice. But, still always check for proper fluid levels, even before the first oil change.

For me, I use synthetic motor oil and I always change every 5,000 to 7,500 miles; my maintenance minder indicator would indicate around 40% - 30% estimated remaining oil life , respectively, when I change it. Most of my trips are long drives without too much traffic and I do not drive it hard.

Here is a video regarding the Maintenance Minder; but, also read your owner's manual.

I've also attached some info. regarding the molybdenum.

Attached Thumbnails Maintenance intervals for new Accord V6 coupe-molybdenum.jpg  
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Administrator
Talking Hi Member

Looks as tho you got the best information you can get with my 2 pros + 1....
Welcome to the forums.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Maintenance intervals for new Accord V6 coupe-thewave.gif  
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 PM

My oil life is showing 40%. Looks like I'm good for now, though I'm planning a long road trip in September (I can fit one such trip in, staying under my miles), and I'll make sure to get it checked before then. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

I think you'll find that a long highway trip will result in longer oil life according to that oil-life calculation.

I like the oil-life monitor, and I've had oil analyzed to find that it's OK to trust it. But remember it does not measure oil inventory, it simply keeps a detailed calculation of your driving habits like starts/stops, temperature, load, acceleration, & things like that.

You can still predict the big jobs like timing belt, because that'll come up about 100k miles regardless of how many oil changes it's called for up to that time.