General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:04 PM
tcataccord
Unregistered
Default Maintenance Schedule

I just bought a '06 EX for my wife, very nice ride! She had a '99 Avalon and like the Accord better.

I had a question on maintenance. The manual or the on-line info doesn't really show what's due when (in one easy to read table). I know the Accord has that auto-service reminder, but I'd like to know what that's based on. My salesman said the great thing about the new Accords is they only require 10K mile oil changes... I can find that no where on a maintenance schedule. The on-line info is confussing, it has 3 lines of 6,250 mile service, one with no "time", one at 6 months and one at 12 months, what's up with that? What happened to the 10K mile change? (I'd never go that long anyway)

My wife drives about 550 miles per month, and I'm trying to create a schedule per her driving habits. Some kind of spreadsheet, maybe 7.5K, 15K, 22.5K, 30K... service intervals. Anyone have a link to something like that? I've never owned a Honda, so have no clue if there's any "special" maintenance items. I hate factory "service reminders", they sometimes make them much more frequent than needed.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Default RE: Maintenance Schedule

Can't help ya on this really but being a synthetic oil user I'd say use it after the break in period and feel free to go 10k miles after that.
I agree with you using regular pet. oil I'd feel pretty worried about going 10k on that stuff. Sounds like an invitation to sludge city down the road going that route. I'm a strictly Amsoil user and I feel fine going one year or 25k miles (with 6month filter changes) and the engine is getting cleaner as I go. In fact cleaner than when I got it from my cousin with tons of miles on it. It had a lot of sludge in it then but it's getting cleaner over the years I've had it using synthetic. I did change the filter more often the first year I changed over just to be sure it wasn't getting too much stuff in it right off. I don't trust regular oil that much with todays tighter higher reving engines.
And with all the sludge it did have in it he changed it every 3k anyway using pet. oil. It doesn't burn oil and runs great but it sure isn't what I'd call a clean engine after being so careful about the 3k oil changes. That tells me enough about that junk. Sorry if I'm off topic a bit. Just wanted to say there is a option to trust that 10k oil change use that is viable. It's not good that it doesn't give better information in the user manual. Mercedes-Benz made a mistake like this with extended oil changes in their user manual that wasn't worded well and it caused a lot of owners to have ruined engines and they did a class action lawsuit because of it. They (MB) were talking about using synthetic oil for so many miles but didn't really word it right to tell people that's what they were supposed to use. So your right to be concerned and to get this cleared up. Maybe they can go that far with reg. oil, don't know. I sure wouldn't want to even if it could though.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:15 AM
tcataccord
Unregistered

Still would like to know if anyone knows milage corresponding to the "Maintenance Minder" info in the manual. A, B, 1,2,3,4,5??? Like #2 says in dusty conditions replace air filter every 15K miles, doesn't tell you what "normal" is. "A" change oil, "B" change oil and filter, why would you only change the oiil and not the filter? When can I expect to see an "A"?

What is the "Maintenance Minder" based on? The manual says "Based on engine operating conditions, and accumulated engine revolutions, the onboard computer calculates the remaining engine oil life"... WOW how accurate can that be? Does "time" figure into its calculation? If it takes me 2 years to drive 10K miles, when will the "A" show up? If the "Minder" only works off miles, I'd like to know so I can change oil and filter a little more often than every 12-18 months.

Sure would be nice to have recommended miles/times on the page that has the A,B,1,2,3,4,5 chart.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Hi there to you and your Wife..the back bone to us married folks...

I'm a real believer in just doing what your owners manual tells you about your maint, schedule...If you dont ..you will find out that your Dealor will be the HAPPY Ones in this, cause if you dont follow the set schedule in your owners manual..you can KISS YOUR warranty goodbye..now that is for real!

Anyway Please take our WELCOME to the forums as serious also (we are Happy to have you with US!)

WheelBrokerAng [sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 10-08-2005, 02:26 PM
tcataccord
Unregistered

Thanks you, and I agree. I just don't find a "real" maintenance schedule in my manual. Only a bunch of blank forms to fill out when the "Maintence Minder" tells you to do something. I have no problem doing it, just be nice to know when it's going to happen.

If I put the car in the garage for 12 months then decided to drive it, will it be another 12 months before the on board computer tells me I need an oil change? If I just start changing the oil and filter every 6 months, I assume I will get way out of wack with the "Minder". I would rather have a schedule to look at and go by, than rely on a computer. If I bring it to the dealer for service 24 months from now (with 5000 miles on the car) because that's the first "A" or "1" I got, am I still in warrantee? Or do I just listen to the salesman and replace oil every 10K miles (that would be 18 months for me)?

Old 10-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks for e-mailing me back, and your welcome...

Go to your dealer and talk to the HEAD service Manager, not one of his service writers who only listen to him any way and ask him for a correct schedule of what you have to do to maintain your warranty and if he wont comply...ask to see the service DIRECTOR and I'm sure he will..The HONDA dealership has to maintain certain % of good service to keep their rateings...

WheelBrokerAng...
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 11-28-2005, 12:10 AM

I had basically the same question on my 2006 Accord. I HATE not knowing exactley when to service the car. If you go to the Honda website you can log in, give your VIN # and your specific service intervals will be displayed. It also has alot of other cool stuff listed here.

Here is a link to the site.
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp
Mark

Old 11-28-2005, 10:13 AM

This may help also:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3719

Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the schedule i will post might differ from honda's but trust me follow it and ur car will last like the energizer battery .....oil and filter every 3000 miles,,,,,if u reside in a cold winter climate use 5-20 oil if warm climate use 10-30.... if it is a manual tranny replace fluid ever 30k if it is AT every 15k, use honda atf z1,,,,cabin filter once a year ,, brake fluid flush every 30k , air filter every 15k if u reside in a dusty climate do sooner ..rotate tires every 7500 miles ,,i believe u got platinum plugs ,, replace those every 60k,,, use NGK plugs only.....
Do not i repeat Do not change the oil like they said 10k miles,, it is way too long ..

Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Thumbs up Here is how I do it..

I pay attention (and my wife does too) to the Maintenance Minder. For oil changes, we have it changed when the Minder says 50% (that is about 3750 miles for her Accord). Having been around Hondas since 1981 (owning 11 of them in that time), my experience is that if you keep up with the maintenance, you will rarely have a problem. Keep the oil changed and the fluids/brakes/tires in good condition and you will be happy with your vehicle. My Hondas usually go to 175,000 miles (and up) before I trade them in.

Drive safely!!

Quick Reply: Maintenance Schedule