General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Major oil failure/leak, need help

Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Major oil failure/leak, need help

95 accord 4 cyl vtech - oil light randomly coming on for past week or so. searches seem to indicate could be faulty oil press switch. drained oil & removed filter to get to it this morning. saw where it was above the filter felt it, didn't feel i had he right wrench to get to it and wasn't real sure how to remove it (hard to see) so didn't mess w/it any further, will take to my local shop to have them change it. put new filter/oil in, started up and something blew out, all 5 qts poured out.

Never seen anything like this. Got oil dry down now soaking up the floor so cant really get under it to see what's going on. First thought was the sensor blew out but its threaded in plus it didnt really do anything to it other than touch it. All engine covered in oil so will be tough to see where its coming from if its not blatantly obvious at first glance. Whatever it is may be why the oil light was randomly blinking to start with. Thank goodness I wasn't doing 70mph down the interstate when it let loose.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

Edit: I may have found it, cam shaft seal. I never got a notice from Honda about this (I am original owner). Sounds major if this is it. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x00-073e.pdf

Could this be the problem?

Last edited by nocode; 07-22-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Could be the balance shft seal.....or many other places. Once you can get under it you are going to have to find the source....did the oil filter not seat, did the oil switch fail????

The switch, there is a "boot" over it. Once you remove the boot and wire on the switch, it just un-screws. Many places rent or sell a special oil switch socket that will help in getting it off.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Poorman thanks for the feedback.

I'll check the filter/switch but the way the drivers side of the engine is covered in oil pretty sure it was one of the seals on the belt side. I'm just going to have it towed to my local shop in the am. All the seals were changed by them 2 yrs ago when they did my timing belt so I'm surprised they failed. Is this common? I never got the notice about the bearing shaft seal retainer from Honda in the early 2000's and I doubt it was ever installed when my timing belt was changed (2 times so far). Should I ask my shop about installing this, if this is the seal that failed?

Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Default Simple solution, I hope

Have you looked at the old oil filter to ensure that the seal is / was not stuck to the block?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh wow. Now that you mention that New2, it may have been. I thought something looked odd but was so focused on the press switch didn't think too much about it, it may have been the old seal stuck on there. Would that cause a major oil dump like that?

If I go back and take it off and put a new one on do you think it's ok? Would that cause oil to blow all over the top/side of the engine?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, having 2 gaskets on the oil filter usually causes a HUGE leak spraying oil all over the place.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 PM

I somehow left the old rubber gasket from a oil filter on my 96 accord started it up drove 3 ft and there was a massive puddle under the car. There was oil everywhere left a spot in my garage 2 ft x 2 ft. Not sure about oil on the topside of the engine most mine went down. Not sure how much exactly came out but it was significant, I ended up draining it all again and doing the whole oil change again basically. I did reuse the filter that was about it.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks guys for all the feedback. This forum is awesome. I feel much better knowing its not a major issue I'm dealing with. I'll be crawling back under tonight to fix this.

I've still got the issue of the press switch to deal with but once I get back on the road I'm just going to take to my shop and have them swap it out.

Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Yo my brother, two seal on top of eachother do not have the ability to keep the oil pressure in so you end up with one heck of a mess. I really hope this helps and remember to always verify the old gasket is NOT stuck to the housing by looking at the filter you remove and looking / wipeing the sealing area.