General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Major rust due to Salt

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Major rust due to Salt

New here, just bought a 99 Accord DX four door 4 cylinder automatic. I thought I was getting a good deal on an Accord only to find a part on the front passenger side of the car rusted and broke. After taking the front right tire off to look for a noise. I can clearly see what appears to be a major problem. To the back of the car from the rack there is a mount that bolts the powertrain support to the body of the car. This support runs up around the rack and goes up under the transmission. I am not sure what to call it but it conects the powertrain to the body of the car.
Is there any replacement part for this? Does it have a proper name? Should I start looking for another Accord?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Sub frame

Well I haven't given up on the DX yet. One of the members here posted a site for Honda repair manuals. The best I can tell the faulty part is part of the sub frame.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

also look at hondaautomotiveparts dot com
select "parts" then put in your car's information.
Pictures like the one here might help you - this one's "Front Bulkhead" it seems to show components that are welded to the body.

"Rear Beam / Cross Beam" shows the bolt-on subframes at both ends. I wish I knew what they were smoking when they made up the title "REAR ...." for this picture.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Thumbs down Major Honda rust

If you have a sub frame issue,I would use the car for parts and go no further.I have a 96' w light rust issue.only small hole above the rear tires,or so I thought.It turns out that Honda does not coat or paint the brake and fuel lines which run almost the length of the car.There is a plastic box encasing these lines,but when opened the brake lines were rusted front to rear and eventually failed one evening coming home.All told there are four lines running parallel,all under pressure.You will also find the lower strut bolts are corroded to the bushing and not savable and all the hard lines comprimised.There's more you don't want to know about,part that thing out.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Thanks for the input

The forcast for tomorrows weather is sunny. I will take that thing out and put it over on its side in the snow bank and get a good look under. I would like to save it if possible.
Galaxiexl, It is very common for sellers of Honda's from this area to advertise the break lines and fuel lines and gas tank has been replaced when looking for a buyer. I think this car has had this part done. I know the gas tank and gas lines for sure. I will get a better look tomorrow. It seems every vehicle has it weak points. I bought a 94 GMC new and noticed the older trucks of that model were rusting prematurely over the wheel wells. I made it habit of spraying grease up in there on mine and it has gone a long way to saving the fenders. Spray Grease from the Canadian Tire is the best stuff to prevent rust I have seen yet. Called, Multi Purpose Grease, sprays out blue and kind of bubbles while drying. GOOD STUFF! and we need it up here.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have a 95 and the brake lines rusted in the line bundle. I just cut out the bad part which was pretty much from the start of the gas tank to where the firewall meets the floor and so far they are fine. Where I cut the lines on the vehicle I put on fitting and then double flared them. I got universal brake lines and cut and double flared them to length. It cost me about $25 dollars. it isn’t close to as good as factory but I like it.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, every car has it's weak points but that doesn't HAVE to make it a lost cause. Before spending for a new subframe, I'd take a real good look around the underside of the car for other corrosion. Anywhere. Then judge whether the car's a lost cause.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Needs a Closer look.

Thanks Jim, I agree. I will access the car from bumper to bumper and make a discision, hopefuly it will be the right one.