General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

May be the wrong area, clear coat issue **UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Default May be the wrong area, clear coat issue **UPDATE**

Well, when I first got the car I felt that it would look much better debadged... I know you are thinking "oh man stupid story" but I didn't do anything stupid. Floss and a hair-dryer on low to heat up the adhesive. I got it off friendly like. Only problem is the impressions where it once said "Accord" now has clear coat peeling. Unfortunately, it is in the middle of winter and I don't have much money to get the entire bumper re-painted. Do I have any options? My dad is good at painting things, but when he did the spoiler on my old car he ended up repainting the entire thing. Unfrortunately the Accord bumper is quite a bit larger than my spoiler was. What can I do? Any idea how much it would cost an auto body placeto fix this sort of thing? Is this something my dealer can do? I have a warranty.. but I didn't pay the extra money (I think it was around 1500 or something) to "warranty" the paint. I don't think it would hold to something like this anyway because I technically did it. Either way I don't feel that the clear coat should be peeling whether or not I removed the badging. Help????

Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: May be the wrong area, clear coat issue

I just learned the hard way that painting clear coat on a bumper is not easy. It requires right clear coat viscosity (some thinner), spray pattern, and patience. I got too much heavy spray and would up w/ "orange peel". It may be possible to sand and "patch" the clear coat w/ a patched layover, but I would suggest getting some professional help.

good luck

Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: May be the wrong area, clear coat issue

For the time being, try hitting it with some hair spray? just an idea but personally i wouldn't do it...

Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Default RE: May be the wrong area, clear coat issue **UPDATE**

Well I took it to a shop today.

Apparently thebumper has been repainted, probably an accident not known to insurance (Carfax was fine)
The place probably didn't wait for the clear to finish all the way before they stuck on the badges which caused my dilemma.
Think I'm going to get my car aligned from that possibility, and the fact that potholes are rampant around here.

Luckily they will reclear and take care of it for like $100 bucks.
I like the guy so much, he will be detailing my car to get all the swirl marks out too
Can't wait until the summer!