General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Methods to stop coolant leak from water pump weep hole

Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Methods to stop coolant leak from water pump weep hole

94 Honda Accord LX 5 speed manual 4 cylinder non VTEC has air conditioning

I recently did an oil and filter change using hydrallic jack to raise car under cross beam under the engine

The next day car driven developed a small drip leak of antifreeze from weep hole of water pump that occurs after car warmed up, and drips for a few minutes after car parked and turned off.

The water pump makes no noticable noise.

Has happened subsequently in same manner every time I drive the car, leak so small not had to add any coolant

Wondering if I jarred the car and water pump when raising or lowering the car resulting in loosening the bolts on the water pump. I am not wanting to replace the water pump, so maybe I could just take off the top part of the timing belt cover and tighten down the bolts on the water pump and hopefully stop this leak. Am I making sense??????

I am trying to find an inexpensive fix for this problem

Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

If coolant is coming out of the weep hole, the internal seal in the water pump is likely going out.

I doubt tightening the water pump will change this. I also doubt that jacking up the car did this.

Do you know when you are due for a timing belt change? If you are close, you can get both of them done. Or do you plan on a DIY repair?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

You'd have to bend that cross-beam pretty much before it even touches the engine. I doubt that caused it.

The front-center jacking point is forward, under the radiator. There's usually some kind of arrow or marking on the plastic splash shield underneath the nose of the car.

There's 2 seals for the waterpump bearings. When the first seal begins leaking, the antifreeze comes out the weep-hole instead of getting all over the timing belt. That also means the waterpump bearing is getting wet...

Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

If it's the waterpump gasket (O-ring really) then it would NOT leak out of the weep hole. The bearing seals are part of the waterpump itself.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default jacking points for 94 Honda Acccord

JimBlake I looked at an online version of the shop manual on the proper place to use floor jack on my 94 Honda Accord

It is not clear what they are saying but it indicates what you are telling me about jacking the car using the jacking bracket (tow hooks)

My question to you is how do you keep the hydrallic jack with a cup top from
slipping off these hooks when you jack up the car???

Also how do you prevent the hook from being bent when using the hydrallic jack and lifting the car by jacking it up at the front or rear hook???

Old 09-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PinkFloridaFlamingos
JimBlake I looked at an online version of the shop manual on the proper place to use floor jack on my 94 Honda Accord

It is not clear what they are saying but it indicates what you are telling me about jacking the car using the jacking bracket (tow hooks)

My question to you is how do you keep the hydrallic jack with a cup top from
slipping off these hooks when you jack up the car???

Also how do you prevent the hook from being bent when using the hydrallic jack and lifting the car by jacking it up at the front or rear hook???
For your 94 Accord, the tow hooks areas are the locations to place a hydraulic floor jack.

For safety, you should jack up the car on a level surface and use wheel chocks opposite the end you are jacking up; for example, if you jack up the front, you place wheel chocks on the rear tires, and vice versa. This helps prevent accidental movement/slipping. Also, most heavy duty floor jacks have a saddle (cup) which is larger than the tow hook.

If you position the jack properly on a level surface and use wheel chocks, the tow hooks will just sit on top of the saddle and will not get bent. IIRC, for the 5th gen Accords (your model year), the front tow hook actually is between a metal subframe which juts out a little bit, so the floor jack is not directly lifting the tow hook; but, part of the subframe. The rear is jacked up at the tow hook though.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I finally spoke to a long time Honda dealer maechanic on this matter.

He told me since not leaking much antifreeze and water pump not making any noise, not to worry about this problem. Said water pump normally drips some antifreeze from weep hole

I saw the same information on leaking small amount of antifreeze from waterpump weep hole is normal in 94 Honda Accord shop manual.

Since I do not drive this car often, and not far, and I do not have money to spend on this repair presently, I am delaying this repair for now.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Keep an eye on the coolant level.

When you are due for a timing belt change, have the water pump changed as well.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I used hydrallic jack on the front tow hook to raise the Honda Accord so I could change the transmission oil.

It worked well after lifting the car, able to put jack stands under the jack pins below the front doors without having to raise the jack too high. I believe easier to raise front of car since this tow hook more forward than cross beam I been using before hence more leverage.

As for antifreeze leak no measurable loss over last few months thank goodness. Hopefully, I will be able to delay the expensive replacement of water pump and belts for a while longer.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Manual does say that some weepage is normal.

Keep an ear out for possible water pump bearing squeak (loss of lube from water exposure). You'll know the sound when it happens. This is an early warning of possible water pump siezure and indicates water pump replacement asap.

good luck