General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Misfiring on Cyl 1 & 2 after EGR port and intake cleaning

Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Default Misfiring on Cyl 1 & 2 after EGR port and intake cleaning

Hey guys,

2000 Accord Ex 2.3

I cleaned TB, Intake manifold and EGR valve, & repalced Head Gasket over the weekend, Car ran great on Sunday took for an hour drive and no issues. Monday car starts fine, but after about 10 minutes CEL came on and then flashed so I knew Misfire, Car only misfires at idle, Cyl 2 was misfiring prior to intake as Oil leaked thru VC opening. But was cleaned up and was ok. Still no oil in spark plug tube.

Replaced Pulgs, Wires and VC gasket and Plug gaskets.

Still factory Cap and rotor at 278,000 miles.

CEL codes are p0301 & p0302

I am going to replace the cap and rotor today. I am going to remove the Distributor today and check it out as its a little dirty from where valve cover was leaking oil around it.

any hel would be great thanks.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Flashing CEL can be misfire, but you should still get the codes checked. There may be multiple codes including some that are not misfire codes.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM

I had the codes checked yesterday and those were the only two that came up. Prior to that code # p1399 and p0302.

I cleared the codes and still got misfire again this morning.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 AM

ok I cleaned up Dist, and repalced cap and rotor and still same issue, what coud be the culprit. again it only misfires when its idling, it is using less GAS when running, than before cleaning of intake and TB. Still same codes. I am running 93 octane in the tank.

Someone help please

Thanks

Last edited by alex007; 07-18-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

First rule out internal engine problem(s) with a compression check.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM

Roader has a good suggestion. I think this would point to an improper head gasket install. But you would probably be seeing other issues such as white smoke when driving (have someone drive behind you for a bit) or oil in your coolant / vice versa.

You need to check the spark on the cylinders that are missing. Do this with the external plug adapter that looks like an actual spark plug. Its cheap and will show you if you are truly getting enough voltage to make a spark. Remove your fuel pump fuse when you do this to keep your car from firing up.

If you are getting sufficient spark then turn to the injectors.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I wonder of OP replaced head gasket or valve cover gasket? He mentions valve cover no longer leaking in his post. If no head gasket, then something else besides faulty HG installation seems likely.

Since only cylinder one, the distributor cap, #2wire, and #2 spark plug should also be checked.

good luck

Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 PM

Hey Texas Your right I only repalced the Valve Cover gasket, not the HEAD. I am sorry was a long day. There is no oil & coolant mix at all, and no Smoke from the tail pipe.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The CEL was reporting #2 misfire both before and after the recent work. I would think that checking the compression would be a good idea before chasing possible fuel and ignition gremlins. It's a fast and cheap way to rule out internal engine problems as most of the auto parts stores loan out compression testers for free.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

When you "cleaned" the intake manifold, which gaskets were replaced? What did the egr port - in the intake manifold, not the valve- look like?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Misfiring on Cyl 1 & 2 after EGR port and intake cleaning