General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My car won't start sometimes, NEED HELP

Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Default My car won't start sometimes, NEED HELP

Hi, I'm having this problem with my 93 Honda accord, It began to not start and I would leave it and the next day it would, so I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and distributor, and still having the same problem, so I was thinking it was probably the fuel not reaching the engine how would I check this, and how would I know that adequate fuel is reaching the engine? I would really appreciate some feedback Thank you

Old 01-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Is your car an EX, LX, or DX? When you replaced the distributor, did your replacement come with a new ignitor or coil? The ignitor is a black piece that has 4 wires that plug into it and is inside of the distributor. The coil can be inside or outside of the distributor depending on your your car (EX vs LX/DS)

Was the distributor a used or new one?

Does the starter turn the engine?

You can check for any codes stored in the engine computer by shorting a blue service connector with a thin paperclip or piece of wire. A long blink =10 and short blink = 1, So LLL SSS = 43 Post any code(s) you find on here. See: http://techauto.awardspace.com/dtc.html

No starts are due to lack of spark or lack of fuel. Spark is easier to check. If you have a timing light, hook it up to a cylinder wire and try to start the car. If the timing light flashes, then your spark is ok.

Fuel is a bit harder to check. When you first turn the key to the II position (don't try to start), you should hear the fuel pump turn on for ~2 seconds in between the clicks from the main relay. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat. Listen carefully or have someone else turn the key on and listen at the gas cap with the cap removed, because it may be hard to hear.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

not sure if you have gotten it figured out yet but if not, check the fuel pump relay. I have now owned 4 CB7 accords and all of them have failed at 150,000 to 200,000 miles. its located under teh dash on the driver side.