General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my Catalytic Converter bad???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Exclamation Is my Catalytic Converter bad???

Hey guys. I'm new here driving a 93 honda accord se. It's an automatic. I'm having issues some weird issues. Everytime I start up the car, lots of white smoke comes out but after driving a while, it goes away. I do notice that it sometimes have trouble accelerating on cold starts but it goes away once it heats up. The car does not over heat in any kind. No check engine lights. I'm not losing any coolant. I'm curious because I took the car for a California Smog Check and it failed the 15 mph run. It pass the the 25 mph run. ??? The smog owner says it could either be the oil, catalytic converter or the engine. I've checked the oil and its fine. I'm hoping it's not the catalytic converter and if it was it, can someone tell me how I will know? I don't want to replace it and find out it wasn't. That converter cost $$$. The smoke looks whitish and it does blow alot out. The smell also stinks a little. What can it be??? HELP!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If the smoke is bluish-gray, it's oil smoke. A pure white smoke is almost always engine coolant from a head gasket leak. However you should be losing coolant if it's pure white smoke (steam).

Did you fail the NoX level? If yes and no Check Engine Light, the EGR ports/manifold is likely blocked and needs cleaning. Check youtube for a video "PO401 EGR Valve Port Cleaning" which shows the process on a later model. Relatively easy job.

Honda catalytic converters are good and rarely fail so look hard elsewhere before replacing converter.

good luck

Old 11-05-2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If the smoke is bluish-gray, it's oil smoke. A pure white smoke is almost always engine coolant from a head gasket leak. However you should be losing coolant if it's pure white smoke (steam).

Did you fail the NoX level? If yes and no Check Engine Light, the EGR ports/manifold is likely blocked and needs cleaning. Check youtube for a video "PO401 EGR Valve Port Cleaning" which shows the process on a later model. Relatively easy job.

Honda catalytic converters are good and rarely fail so look hard elsewhere before replacing converter.

good luck
I failed the emissions test. I'll check if it can be the EGR but I feel like it's not... Hopefully after cleaning it with some carb cleaner, it might feel better. Damn.... It's kinda weird actually. It only blows "whitish" smelly smoke after you start the car and you drive it after you let it sit. Once it goes away, it doesn't come back until you shut off the car and re-start it again.... I'm soooo confused to what to do and replace. But I'll check the EGR and clean it and hope that solves it....

Last edited by idoke1; 11-05-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: edit
Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are really only two liquids that can easily get into combustion chamber; oil or engine coolant. Small possibility of brake fluid through the vacuum booster and master cylinder seals.

Coolant smoke is bright white and has a sweet chemical smell, while oil is grey-blue, oil smell.

good luck

Old 11-06-2010, 01:00 PM

I've checked my engine oil today and notice tiny little bubbles on my oil dipstick. There are several tiny bubbles in the oil. I've done some research and I got 2 reasons.... It could be bad oil addictive or water leakage from either a cracked block or blown headgasket. My engine isn't overheating at all. I still have coolant and it is not leaking no where. It's still on FULL mark and I've checked the radiator. It's all still fine and full. I'm probably going to change the oil again to 5w-40. Hopefully, after this, no more white smoke from start up and no more tiny bubbles..... If worst comes to worst...... RIP F22A6..... and maybe H22.....

Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Is it beginning to get cold where you live? Park outside overnight? Condensation (moisture) in the crankcase isn't very unusual from that situation. If you only ever drive a couple miles then it never has a chance to get hot & dry out.

If those little bubbles are actually anti-freeze, then you got a problem with the headgasket or block like you said.

I'd probably stick with 5w-30 especially if it's getting colder.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Is it beginning to get cold where you live? Park outside overnight? Condensation (moisture) in the crankcase isn't very unusual from that situation. If you only ever drive a couple miles then it never has a chance to get hot & dry out.

If those little bubbles are actually anti-freeze, then you got a problem with the headgasket or block like you said.

I'd probably stick with 5w-30 especially if it's getting colder.
It is getting colder where I live and yes, I only drive a couple of miles a day. About 2-9 miles on average a day. The bubbles don't show up if you parked it over night. It only shows up when you drive around. I haven't gotten the chance to really drive some miles on it because I fear it might be the headgasket or other related engine problems. I do however check all my fluids and they are ALL full without me adding any fluids to them.