General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious oil disappearance!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:05 PM
lilthads@hotmail.com
Unregistered
Default Mysterious oil disappearance!?!

Recently I have noticed that after purchasing my 99' Honda Accord that it has been making oil just disappear. It goes through oil very quickly which is making me get concerned for my engine and wallet. There is no blue smoke or oil stains in my garage or on my driveway. where could the oil be going? how do i fix this?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Default RE: Mysterious oil disappearance!?!

how quickly is it loosing oil? honda says 1 quart in 1000 miles is acceptable.

can you answer some questions?

what weight oil are you using?
what interval are you changing the oil?
have you lifted it up and inspected the underbody for oil seepage or leaks?

i've had pcv valves cause massive oil loss. it has to be going somewhere. inspect it.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM

you either have a leak or its just burning the oil off, mine will go throu a half quart about every 1500-2000 miles, if I use 5w-30, if I use 10w-30 then it doesnt burn any off. I also use Castrol High Mileage and Mobil 1 oil filters.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

perhaps its leaking? go under the car and look for parts covered in oil. It looks more like a dirty, thick, grimey covering than oil.
just because there isnt a big spot on your driveway doesnt necissarily rule this out.

i mean its either burning or leaking, not alot of other things that can happen to oil.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:28 PM
lilthads@hotmail.com
Unregistered

i have inspected everything and there is no oil anywhere. i just had an oil change on the 26th of december and im already low on oil. the engine compartment is clean. i have noticed that upon stepping out of the car you can smell something resmebling burning plastic but only for about a minute after the car is shut off. I have had my brother stand behind the car while the car was running and i was applying a little bit of gas and there is no smoke or anything. there is no oil anywhere and the whole engine compartment is bone dry and i have checked the under teh car as well

Old 01-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i doubt its the problem, but for $3 id say its worth a shot to replace the PCV valve. about how many miles have you driven since dec. 26th?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
lilthads@hotmail.com
Unregistered

as far as i know im no where near 1000

Old 01-06-2008, 08:35 PM

it's possible the filter is leaking onto the exhaust making the burning smell. did you lift it up and inspect it yet?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 PM
lilthads@hotmail.com
Unregistered

no i called a buddy of mine he owns an auto body but hes got a friend who is going to do take a look at the car for me

Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 AM

The PCV Valve is about $3 at an auto parts store. In your engine compartment, the PCV Valve is an "L"shaped piece of plastic coming out of the valve cover directly above the "T" in the "VTEC" letters. You can change it yourself with your hands and a pair of pliers (to move the clamp down the hose). It is worth the $3 or so as drummer said. It is a general maintenance item that is often forgotten. Come to think of it, I just changed the one on my 95 V6 but I haven't changed the one on my 2000. I think I'll pick one up on the way home from work today.
It may not be the cause of the oil loss, but you never know.

Quick Reply: Mysterious oil disappearance!?!