General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help with strange vehicle speed sensor problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Default Need help with strange vehicle speed sensor problem.

I have a 94 accord EX and it had a code 17. The speedometer, cruise and odometer did not work. Sounds like the VSS right. Ok bought a new one and installed it. The light (code 17) went away but the speed, cruise and odometer still don't work. My understand is that you are supposed to get 5V pulses from the VSS. Well strangely, backprobing the VSS I get 0.5V pulses. Sounded weird so I sent the VSS back and ordered another one. Same thing with the second one, 0.5V instead of 5V.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am getting a lower voltage?

The numbers printed on the VSS are;

78410-SV4
EWTR4A
K1YO

I really apprieciate any help. This problem is about to drive me nuts.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

What is the voltage on the yellow wire going to the VSS?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Code 17 can also be a fault in the circuit that services the VSS; connector, wiring, ECU, or gauge panel.

First suggest disconnecting the VSS. Next at VSS connector, check Orange wire to the VSS for a short to ground. Org goes to ECU and gauge panel. Yellow wire should have 12V w/ keyswtich On, and blk wire should show ground. If you see a ground on the Org, I would first disconnect ECU B connector and check again. If ground disappears, then ECU may be faulty. If ground still present, disconnect gauge panel and recheck. If ground disappears, then gauge panel has internal short. If ground remains, there is likely a short in the wiring harness from VSS.

Bottom line is your problem is almost certainly not the VSS, but something in the VSS circuit. You can try the diagnostics or start replacing parts and hope you get lucky. Diagnostics are not easy either, so no easy way forward.

good luck

Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM

There is 5 volts at the connector between the Orange and Black. Does this mean that the Orange connection is good?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

What about the yellow wire?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 PM

12 volts on the yellow and ground is good on black.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 PM

Is there any way that it's suppposed to be 0.5V pulses and not 5V. I have read a couple of things on the internet which suggest that it might be 0.5V. Anyone out there actually back probed a VSS on an Accord and got 5V pulses.

http://www.suite101.com/content/vehi...estions-a23332

Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Default very similar problem with my 90 accord

I have the exact same symptoms.
I have tried replacing the dash cluster, the ecu the tcu and unhooking the cruise control. I have tried a brand new VSS and another used one.
I also get .05 pulses instead of 5 volts when the vss is hooked up.
When the VSS is not hooked up i get a suspicous, constant 5 volts.
My my speedo, odometer and cruise dont work either...
I have confirmed continuity for the orange wire and all other voltages are correct.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was??

Old 05-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Measuring wrong voltage may be a problem w/ the VOM. If circuit resistance is very high on the VSS circuit, then your VOM may get false readings. Manual only says 0-5V pulses. This would be consistent w/ measuring 5V open circuit, and 0V when circuit is grounded.

It could be a wiring harness problem. Suggest checking the circuit for continuity at the gauge panel connector. Disconnect at VSS and ground each wire to allow checks at gauge panel for wire continuity. Repair opens found.

good luck

Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 PM

First post. Reviving this thread because I have the same issue.
1994 Honda Accord LX
Speedo would work once in awhile, then die. I used to reset the trip meter and it would spring to life, but now it will not work properly. It stays at 15 miles per hour as soon as I put the key in position II. I already tried replacing the vss and the speedo.

I have +5 volts on the orange wire everywhere I find it.
AFTER disconnecting the vss, ecu, tcu and cruise control - I still had +5 volts on the orange wire at C429.
I have continuity at every junction on the orange wire - from vss, to gauge panel, ecu, tcu and cruise.

Is this the result of a bad ground ?
Where is the 5 volts coming from ?

Quick Reply: Need help with strange vehicle speed sensor problem.