General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need hlp on understanding engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:36 PM
noisetank69
Unregistered
Default need hlp on understanding engines

hey i'm just starting to get into tuning and i have to say.... I AM A N00B AT THIS!!!!!! I dont really know what a cam pulley does or what a header does, ect. i have an '02 accord 2.3L SE 4dr automatic heading my way when i turn 16 in less than a year. i really need help on understanding the engine components and what they do.

thnx!~!!!~

Old 03-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: need hlp on understanding engines

ORIGINAL: noisetank69

hey i'm just starting to get into tuning and i have to say.... I AM A N00B AT THIS!!!!!! I dont really know what a cam pulley does or what a header does, ect. i have an '02 accord 2.3L SE 4dr automatic heading my way when i turn 16 in less than a year. i really need help on understanding the engine components and what they do.

thnx!~!!!~

too much information to type.........You are better off guying a book and reading, or better yet, take automotive classes in high school..

Old 03-23-2006, 11:16 PM

Well, I'm 34 and in the same boat. I know the basics and can do simple stuff like changing oil, plugs, rotor/cap, etc. I want to learn more...for those most to save money on maintenance costs.

http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/
http://library.thinkquest.org/19199/...etc/links.html

Old 03-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well im just sitting on my *** right now so ill say a little....

so there is the engine... it takes in air, mixes it with fuel, compresses it, lights a spark right in the middle of the mixture which starts an explosion, then those hot gasses are sent out the exhaust.

how does the motor know how much fuel to put in. well there are quite a few systems that are monitored by the computer. there is the throttle body, which has a throttle position sensor.....as you hit the gas the computer sees that you want to go faster.

the throttle body has plate which restricts the air flow. when you open it, more air goes in which is monitored by your MAP sensor. if more air goes in the more gas that is sent out through the injectors.

you dont want to be messing with cams or anything....trust me. thats way down the road. ASE master techs mess stuff like that up sometimes.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:30 AM

Read this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 PM

I was in the same boat as you a year or so ago. I'm 17 (gonna turn 18 in June). I took high school auto shop last year, and i got hooked on cars. I'm in second year auto shop right now, and i could prolly do any job if i wanted to with the right amount of time. I don't think i can describe how much stuff i learned in autoshop. I would recommend taking high school shop if you are interested. If you do take shop, don't waste your time like a i see a lot of other kids do. If you really wanna learn, work hard at it. Do your HW, read the book and take as many jobs as you can get your hands on. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:39 PM
noisetank69
Unregistered

well, in my school they dont have an automotive class. i would need to go to a different place out of skool time to learn more. thnx for the link TRexasF, emaxxman, andlightshow for the little explination. i read the links and they are helping a lot. now i just need to start gettin into some classes that actually teach it to me.

thnx again guys/girls