General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need input on changing seals when doing timing belt replacement

Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Default Need input on changing seals when doing timing belt replacement

Hello,

I have a 1995 Accord, that has 172k miles. The timing belt has already been replaced once, when the car had 105k miles.

During my last service, the dealer notified me that there appears to be oil in the area inside the timing belt cover. He said that this is probably due to the fact that when the belt was originally replaced, the tech probably DID NOT replace the seals that go with it, and as a result now there is oil passing through and collecting at the bottom of the timing belt cover area.

He also said that although it is not a lot of oil yet, it will accumulate and can cause the belt to snap eventually due to getting softer when coming into contact with the oil.

When I asked him what he suggested, he of course said that I need to replace the seals, and while doing that I might as well replace the timing belt, and since I've got it all exposed, replace the water pump.

This is going to cost $800. The car is only worth $1600-2000. But I actually love the car, so I will do whatever I have to do to get it right.

I did some searching and found this one thread, http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2534082 but honestly I could not discern which seals were pertinent to my situation, so that is why I've decided to post (just so you all know).

I have a friend (who used to own his own auto repair shop) and he knows a guy who is very good with Honda's, and does work on the side. What I need to know from you guys (and gals) is what seals will need to be replaced. That way when I talk to this mechanic and ask him the same question, I can compare answers. If his answer jives with yours, then I'll go with him.

And if there is anything else pertinent to replacing the timing belt that I should know about I would greatly appreciate your additional input.

Also, with regard to the age and mileage of the car. How much more use can I expect to get out of this car? 50k miles, or what? Does anyone have any idea of what potential major repairs might be coming down the road?

TIA for your replies.

Phil

Old 04-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

If your car is well maintained, the engine can get to 300K. Mine is at 230K right now.

Your mechanic is correct that the seals should be replaced when you do the next TB job, which is due in 8K miles for you. There are weep holes in the cover so the oil can drain out, so that cover will not fill with oil. If you remove the valve cover and the timing belt is covered with oil, then you should replace the belt asap.

There are 3 shaft seals that can be replaced, one for the crankshaft, the camshaft, and the front balance shaft. There is an o-ring gasket for the rear balance shaft gear housing that definitely should be replaced. The only extra cost should be for the 3 seals and o-ring which is less than $25, since the mechanic will have all the necessary parts removed to change them easily.

There is a seal for the water pump, but you should get the water pump replaced so that seal will come with the new water pump. I would also consider replacing the two tension pulleys as well.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

also it is a must that you install a bal shaft seal retainer if none is there

Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If your car is well maintained, the engine can get to 300K. Mine is at 230K right now.

Your mechanic is correct that the seals should be replaced when you do the next TB job, which is due in 8K miles for you. There are weep holes in the cover so the oil can drain out, so that cover will not fill with oil. If you remove the valve cover and the timing belt is covered with oil, then you should replace the belt asap.

There are 3 shaft seals that can be replaced, one for the crankshaft, the camshaft, and the front balance shaft. There is an o-ring gasket for the rear balance shaft gear housing that definitely should be replaced. The only extra cost should be for the 3 seals and o-ring which is less than $25, since the mechanic will have all the necessary parts removed to change them easily.

There is a seal for the water pump, but you should get the water pump replaced so that seal will come with the new water pump. I would also consider replacing the two tension pulleys as well.
OK, got you. Now, I have 2 quick questions:

1 - I am interested in taking a look at the condition of the belt. Where you say "remove the valve cover ..." do you mean the timing belt cover or do you really mean the valve cover? How difficult is it to remove either of these, and in doing so, will I need to have new gaskets when I close the cover?

2 - With regard to the performing the replacement of the timing belt, all of the appropriate seals, and the two tension pulleys; how many labor hours would you estimate it would take, from start-to-finish?