General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need some help tightening timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:38 PM
mxl360
Unregistered
Default Need some help tightening timing belt

my timing belt needs to be slightly tighten.... anyone with experience? Can this all be done w/o taking the valve cover off? And which way would be to make belt tighter... clockwise or counter?

Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need some help tightening timing belt

What year is your accord?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 AM
mxl360
Unregistered

sorry 1999 accord

Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Do you already have the upper timing cover off? If not, how do you know it needs to be tightened?

The tensioner is spring-loaded with a relatively weak spring& the tensioner bolt locks it into place. The spring is intended to put the proper tension, but NOT intended to operate while the engine is running.

Take the spark plugs out so thecrank is easier to turn. Turn it forward (counterclockwise) a couple revolutions. Loosen the tensioner bolt & turn the crank pulley forward just a bit. You're only trying to move all the slack over to the rear leg of the belt so the tensioner spring can take up the slack.

Hold a bit of torque on the crank pulley, just to prevent it from relaxing backwards a few degrees. While holding it, tighten the tensioner bolt to lock the tensioner in place.

The timing belt isn't supposed to be TIGHT like an alternator belt. It's normal for you to be able to take the long (front) span of the belt & just barely be able to twist it 90 degrees.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 PM
mxl360
Unregistered

Which way would I turn the tensioner to tighten? Clockwise?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Tensioner bolt is right-hand thread. Clockwise to tighten.

It's not in the best position to work, you've probably noticed that. People have rounded off the hex trying to get wrenches in there.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
mxl360
Unregistered

I turned the tensioner closewise (less than a qaurter way)... started it back up and it made the belt screech a bit longer and louder. I think it tightens the bolt... but actually loosen the tension? I didn't have time to turn it the other way... it was tough and had to goto work.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Did you do the procedure in post #4?Like I saidthe tensioner bolt locks the tensioner pulley into position.

You have to loosen the bolt, allow the spring to do it's job, then re-tighten the bolt.

Are you sure the screetching is the timingbelt? What about a noisy bearing in the tensioner pulley? Or waterpump? Or even screetching in one of the external drive belts?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Assuming it is a 4 cyl engine,loosen up the 14 mm nut in the center of the lower timing belt cover,, get a 19mm socket, a long extension and a rachet,, once the 14mm nut is loose, insert the 19mm into the crank bolt, turn it toward the frt of the car ( counterclockwise) this will remove the slack, retighten the 14mm nut and you are done,,

But like Jim says . are tyou sure that noise is coming from t-belt?? usually t-belts when loose they do not screech or squeal , they make a rapping noise , ( like a belt hitting on the cover ) .

.I would chk the other items that Jim mentioned

Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 PM
mxl360
Unregistered

Is it possible it could be the Timing Balancer belt? I just started it tonight in cold and no screech.

Quick Reply: Need some help tightening timing belt