General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car only came with Valet Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Default New car only came with Valet Key

The 07 Ex Coupe we just bought did not come with the keyless entry fob. Which we fixed by installing a remote starter. However we later realized that the funny looking grey key they gave us was what is called a "valet" key. Wow, what is this a Mercedes?

But being our only key, we can't use it to lock the trunk release or glove compartment. So we need to get an original black key.

I also have learned about the immobilizer chips, bummer. Dealer only fix, and about 150 bucks for every key we have made. My wife has lost or locked her keys in her old car countless times, so this security "convenience" could really cost us in the long haul.

So getting to my question.
If I were to pay the dealer extortion and get an original key, make a cheap hardware store copy of it and then duct tape the original under the dash. Would the cheap copy, and all cheap copies, start the car? As long as the chip in the original key is in range of the RFID transponder, it shouldn't know the difference, right?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Your valet key has the RFID chip too. So if you were inclined to disable your immobilizer, here's one way to do it...

Get copies of the valet key. The difference between valet & normal keys is an extra slot in the blank. Not having that slot means the valet key doesn't even fit into the lock cylinder. If the cheap copies are made with a non-valet blank, they should work on the glovebox & trunk.

Then open up the plastic shroud around the steering column. Tape the valet key inside there. The range of the RFID antenna is really small. And it's more hidden in case someone breaks a window to get in.

If it were me, I'd go back to the seller & complain. Get a proper key. Shop around locksmiths; some of them are able to make immobilizer keys.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Wondering how you had a remote starter installed. I did a few months ago in my '09 and I had to commit (give up) my valet key and have it hidden under the dash somewhere. I agree you shouldn't of taken delivery of the car without more than that one key. Oh well, maybe you didn't realize this at the time.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 PM

Right, I never guessed that having keys made would be so costly or complicated. I wasn't gonna fight over what I thought was a $3 key, especially after the beating I put on them over the cars price. Live and learn, of course next time I buy another car could be another 8 years from now. By then they probably will have some kind of retina/DNA scanning key that I won't know about, and will buy a car that is missing it. Hey that's a good idea, a key that you lick before you start the car, only programmed DNA will start it.....OK maybe not.

I'll try experimenting. After I get an original key that locks everything, I'll make a cheap copy of that one. Then I'll see how close in proximity the real key needs to be for the sensor to think the chip is in the key I'm starting it with.

DGP1961, That's where I got this idea. My remote starter installing buddy told me that the hidden key trick is neccessary on some vehicles. But he was able to wire our 07 without doing that. "09 may be new and improved".

Maybe the remote starter bypasses the immobilizer completely and a cheap key will work now, IDK, but I doubt it. It will remote start with the chip nowhere around, but I probably need it to drive the car.

I will probably pull the chip out of the valet key if this works and tape just the chip in there. I'd be worried someone would find the key, especially since I just told the world it would be there via the internet LOL. I'll keep all of you posted on how this works.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hello CoupeNotC

What did you say was your address

And please don't put in your local police station

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM

just who do you plan on having cut your $3 key? Lock shops don't have the blanks or the machine to cut honda sidewinder keys. Maybe some of the big city high dollar shops can but no lockshop around here wants to spend the $10K on the laser key cutter that honda uses.

Last edited by mcnoople; 01-21-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Lol, some of the Nissan and Mercedes keys can cost well over $1000, and yeah, no "Homedepo made" key will work. Your gonna have to get the key from the dealer. And I have a remote starter that uses a valet key, but the way its normally wired, you still cannot start the car with just a metal key.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tippman7641
Lol, some of the Nissan and Mercedes keys can cost well over $1000, and yeah, no "Homedepo made" key will work. Your gonna have to get the key from the dealer. And I have a remote starter that uses a valet key, but the way its normally wired, you still cannot start the car with just a metal key.
Yeah I'm totally confused about how this remote got wired. Playing lots of games and trying lots of things to fool the car. I'm thinking he/she may just be better off spending the big ridiculous money for the correct key.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, for a 2007 (only 2 years old) I'd get a proper key. All this other screwing around seems more appropriate for a 12-year-old car. But it's not MY money we're spending.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM

OK that's even more bad news. I did not know that the Honda key blanks were that special. I have not gone to a hardware store to get a copy made yet, sure I noticed it was a little different looking than my old style keys, but I did not ever guess they were not able to be copied. I thought just the chip was made of Unobtainium. That's stupid that the car owner has to go through so much trouble. A better idea would be to make the valet key dealer only and the real key OK to copy.

So I guess the dealer is going to get the money for 2 keys out of me. And I'll cross my fingers that the days of my wife loosing keys are over.

Update on the remote starter. The lever on the sill to pop the trunk works fine but I did not have the factory key fob with the keyless trunk popper. I had hoped that the button on the remote starter fob would work. Mike (starter guy) was not able to hook up the trunk popper without some other component he needed to order. The wife went back to him to have it installed and when he got in there he found some of the complications that DGP1961 is running into. So far the remote starter is working fine, but Mike talked to Avital and they said he needs on original key to bypass the trunk security. I guess honda figured that if a thief steals your car with the valet key, they should not be able to open your trunk by messing with a few wires. I wonder if all this security will stop some thug with a crowbar?

So in summary, if what you guys said about not being able to buy cheap keys is true, then my whole bypassing the chip idea is a moot point. Also owning modern cars kind of sucks. Maybe it's time I get going on my 77 van restoration, it does not have ABS SRS MP3 SBC GPS TPMS or SCMODS.

Quick Reply: New car only came with Valet Key