General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new guy from upstate ny with AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Default new guy from upstate ny with AC problem

hey guys been pulling mu hair out with air conditioning problems. Have about 14 hours into it. Heres what I got. Its a 97 accord lx 2.2 auto. I lost my AC a few weeks ago. after endless hours of going over the schematics Im lost! Its kinda like I lost the ground on the compressor and condenser fan. If I create a a ground with a jumper wire it works! So I swapped out the tcm which is the same box as the ecu on the 4 cylinder from what im understanding. It didnt work. So then I tried the rad fan timer and the climate controller with no luck! So I decide to run the ground wire for the fan and the compressor on taggle switches to create a ground so atleast i would have air on my 150 mile round trip to work for the week. Now that i have created the ground it seams too only be cool when the ambient temp is cool. as a matter a fact it freezes me out when its cool outside. but when its hot out it dont cool the car.
So my question is what the heck am i missing? Is it the compressor thats going bad and im losing the ground through that?
What do you guys think? any clue? I honestly dont wanna and cant afford 127 an hour at the stealership! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Welcome to HAF! I moved your post to correct forum for problems.

The compressor is enabled through the AC compressor relay by a ground signal from the ECM to relay. Usually absence of ground means that another signal (also ground) to ECM is interupted by AC pressure switch, AC thermostat, AC switch, or heater/blower fan switch. W/O ground signal the ECM will not enable the compressor relay to deliver power to the compressor clutch coil.

Suggest checking for ground (AC commanded on) on the red/wht wire at AC pressure switch. If no ground, check blu/yel wire at pressure switch. If you have ground, the AC pressure switch is faulty, since you have enough refrigerant to enable some cooling.

If no ground at blu/yel, check blu/red wire at AC thermostat (under dash on pax side) for ground. If available, the ac thermostat is stuck open. Replace ac thermostat.

If no ground at blu/red, check green wire at heater control panel. If ground available, then AC switch is faulty (open when should be closed). Replace AC switch.

If no ground at green wire, then heater blower switch is faulty and ground is not being routed. Replace blower switch.

Do you have a shop manual? If not check Online Manuals post in diy forum for a download.

good luck

Old 06-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the ac charge is low or the switch is bad.

Pull the wires from the ac pressure switch, under/around the battery. There should be continuity across the pins of the switch.

If not, the switch is bad or it is low on charge. You will then need to test the high and low side pressures....if in spec the switch is bad.

Warning - do not blindly add refrig to the system.....damage to the ac system or yourself can happen.

Slow at typing....I see TX posted before I did....

Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 AM

hey guys just got the notice and the time too read it i will check into it my next day off. and Texas thanks for moving the post. wasnt sure on where to put it

Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM

If everything checks out fine the. More often then not it is the condenser that has failed internally. But don't just start throwing parts at it. It reason I mention the condenser is because you said it only cools at a cool ambient air temp. Have you checked the high and low pressures with gauges to see what is going on? If you do that you will better be able to determine the problem.