General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new member need help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Default new member need help deciding

Ok hey ladies and gents I have a 94 accord ex sedan automatic with a f22b1. I want to convert it to manual and I want to make it a lot faster and idk which way to go. Should I swap for a h22 or would it be better to boost it I don't have all the money in the world to do this but I do have some I can spend I would also like to know which would be the best tranny to convert it to manual with. I don't need the fastest Honda but I want it to have some pull

Hello New Member..Welcome to the HAF..

Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

If you are on a limited budget and/or cannot deal with your car being INOP for one or more weeks at a stretch, it will most likely be better/faster/cheaper to sell your car and buy a faster car with a stick.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:18 AM

So basically it'll be a waste of money to conver it ?

Old 03-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by avengethefallen7
So basically it'll be a waste of money to conver it ?
It all depends.

From the perspective of the transmission swap only; given there are plenty of potential donor cars in bone yards all over the country, the biggest issue will buying all of the individual parts, transmission, clutch, linkage, axle shafts, computers, wiring harness, shifter, clutch plumbing... (or buying an entire donor car and having it moved to your home). Then there is the task of the conversion; if you've done the conversion before, know exactly what you are doing, and have every part, then maybe a weekend or two with your car INOP. However, if this it the first time through, I could easily see a month or more spent just on the transmission conversion.

Then there is the upgrade of the engine; the best/most significant means of boosting engine power is to boost the engine itself, and that means either a supercharger or a turbocharger, and those kits ain't exactly cheap.

Long story short, unless you have a spare car and significant funds to burn, this will become painfully large hole to throw your money and time into. Like I said before, probably better/quicker/cheaper to simply sell your car and buy something more to your liking.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM

So what can I do with it being auto as far as getting more power

Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by avengethefallen7
So what can I do with it being auto as far as getting more power
Not much, the transmission in your car is not known for longevity even when the engine is stock. If you try aftermarket stuff like intake and exhaust you'll *maybe* get a few horsepower up near redline, but your midrange power will typically suffer by about the same amount. A forced induction application (supercharger or turbocharger) is pretty much a non-starter for automatic equipped cars.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Not real sure, but I thought the "fragile" automatics started with 1998. Otherwise, I go along with what Shipo is saying.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Hello again new member..Thanks for joining the forums.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

What is your budget?

Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 AM
Almost A Senior Member

x3,,i would not put a dime in it,,sell it and buy something modded to your taste,,the description of your wish list could easily surpass the 5-6 thousand dollar mark.
good luck

Quick Reply: new member need help deciding