General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New valet key

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New valet key

I read some threads but still dont quite get it. My 2007 Accord came with one key and am trying to get a valet key (which will start the engine)
Does it mean I cant take my main key to the hardware store and get one cut which starts the engine? (dont care about the trunk)

The dealer quoted me $170 but he must mean a remote?
Thanks - p

Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: New valet key

I believe the newer models have chips in the keys and are laser cut. You probably will have to take it to the dealer.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Accords have immobilizer chip in the key starting at least with 1998.

If you get a key from a hardware store, it'll open the doors but won't start the engine.

There's probably some locksmiths that can make keys with immobilizer chips, so it's not always a dealer monopoly. The locksmith just has to invest in the computer-tools to program your car to accept the new chip.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:50 PM

$170 isn't bad, i was only charged $150 for mine. because i don't have an immobilizer chip, that's for sure... (my last set of keys had the entire key split off the plastic remote, and it still started the engine (had to turn it with pliers).) Honda has also told me that my car doesn't have one of those at all and credited me the $20 service charge (hence $150).

from what i understand from my many many many hours of research is...
the sidewinder keys (the type that the accords are) are only able to be made by honda themselves, as the molding plates were never publicly released such as your standard keys have been. locksmith's are aware of them, but don't have anything to make them with.

thus, you have to go to honda... now for my key WITH the remote, they wanted to charge me another $250 for that, but i bitched them out because when I brought my key in he said he'd get me the same thing for that price and so he "hooked" me up.. in reality he just had to eat it cuz he was an idiot and ordered me a valet key instead of a remote entry key...

i had only replaced the driver door and the ignition switch; the driver side and trunk don't have locks and didn't bother replacing the glove box or the lock on the gas/trunk lever. still cost me a pretty penny

Old 04-21-2008, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: klrspz
from what i understand from my many many many hours of research is...
the sidewinder keys (the type that the accords are) are only able to be made by honda themselves, as the molding plates were never publicly released such as your standard keys have been. locksmith's are aware of them, but don't have anything to make them with.

thus, you have to go to honda...
Can you tell me why my Home Depot-duped key worked in my 95? Or are you stating that this is only for 1998 and newer?

Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

My (former) 1998 Accord EX had animmobilizer withchips in the keys. My (former) 1995 Integra did NOT have an immobilizer.

I waspretty sure my 2003 LX has it too, but now I gotta check to satisfy myown curiosity??? Klrspz, does your cluster have a green lamp in the shape of a key that lights up for a momentwhen you turn on the car?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks to all - man I'm really getting old - $150 for a second key?? Love the car though.
Interesting that I usually get my cars from an auction - this is the second car which came without a valet key. My Passat key only cost $40 though
Thanks again - p