General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaking - My experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Default Shaking - My experience

I have an 1988 Accord with a 5-spd.

I noticed that it has shaking at high speeds, almost feels like a either a tire is out of balance or a broken belt, but not really as the steering "loose"

Braking the shaking is bad. Hold a martini and it will be well shaken.

I went through some troubleshooting myself with the help of this forum and along with my training in the automotive industry.

So far I have:
  • Replaced the front brakes including the rotors, calipers and pads.
  • Replaced the clutch(it wore out anyways)
  • Replaced upper control arms and ball joints on all four corners
  • Replaced the front tires because they were worn unevenly and the tread looked like the rockies
  • Replaced the outer tie rod ends (inners no play)
I don't really want to keep dumping money in a 22 yr old car with 230k miles, but it is really ticking me off!

The only thing I can think of could the half shafts be bent to throw off the balance? The only thing with the axles is that would it make the car feel like there is play in the steering?

Note: the upper control arms definately helped make the car feel stiff in the ride, and feels like there is more control.
The play in the steering seems like the key to the symptoms, but I am at a lost.

Last edited by twilliamsen; 09-02-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Put the front of the car on jackstands. Turn the steering wheel until it locks.

Push pull on the tire at the 9/3 and 6/12 o'clock positions. The tires should not move at all. If they do, push in pull the tire and see what ball joint is allowing movement.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yea about the only thing left is the lower ball joints. PA has given you good advise to be sure. I'll ask this, at low speeds (10~15 mph) without accel/braking, does the car seem to move side to side?

Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 AM

I have checked the lower ball joints with the 6/12 and 9/3 o'clock and there isn't any play.

No the car drives normal at low speeds.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 PM

After closer inspection, I noticed the left lower ball joint has a rip in the boot, but that does not make it conclusive that is the issue.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I am going to not assume the braking issues and high speed vibration are the same. What brand rotors did you use and the boot just means it should be replaced or it will damaged the ball joint.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Inner CV joints, the vibration will change as you lightly step on and off the gas.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like it might be 2 different issues here.....It is not a broken ply in the tire , you would experience vibration also at slow speeds 20-30 mph..and from what you are experiencing it is not a bad cv joint ..
First, i would re balance all the wheels
then i would chk the rotors for run out ,, it won't be the first time that i see new rotors warped ,especially if you bought some cheap rotors made in China ..

the tear on the ball joint boot is no big deal,, as long as ball joint is not loose , you can replace just the boot ,dealer should have them,, 6-7 dollars each

I would also chk ALL frt suspension components for looseness or wear

Old 09-03-2010, 07:36 AM

Rotors are not warped a I have replaced them twice and the issue still exists. I do not think it is a braking problem, I feel that it is either the lower ball joints, half shafts, or something else, maybe sway bar bushings.

Note: I did not notice ANY play on the right rear upper ball joint and it snapped on me, looks like all the grease left the joint and was being held in by rust.

Just because there is no play does not mean it is not bad, that is my experience.

One other thing, I notice the shaking is not as noticible or barely non existent in the morning, versus the afternoon, where it is extremely noticible.

Also, at speeds of 45-65 it is really bad, above 75 it goes away, until you hit the brakes. This is what stumps me and it seems to be something that is rotating and could be out of balance.

Tires do not need to be balanced they are new, granted they could be out of balance, but it is a very very small chance.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:12 AM

Could it be the struts? it is definately coming from the front.

Quick Reply: Shaking - My experience