General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBD-II Error code - P2646: Rocker Arm Acutaor A

Old 03-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Unhappy OBD-II Error code - P2646: Rocker Arm Acutaor A

Hi.
I have a 2005 Accord EX 2.2L AT with 92,900 miles. The check engine light lit up after I was trying to accelerate while at 65-70 mph on the freeways of San Antonio. The engine stumbled(?) twice about 15 minutes apart, but continued to climb in rpms after each stumble. The check engine came on after the 2nd incident. I have a OBD-II reader in car, so after I got to my destination, I plugged it and read the error codes:

"P2646"
"Rocker Arm Acutator A, Bank 1: Perf. or Stuck off"

I drove out to errand/lunch, and noticed that somehow the car feels like its being restricted in someway. Getting to 60mph for the freeway is fine, and my rpm is about 1800-2000 and if I kept the rpm in that range, I will get up to 65 mph, but, not like before the check engine light came on.
Driving home afterwards, the car still feels like it's be held back in someway, i.e. rpm.

I don't know if this is a failsafe mode for this particular code/message that Honda put in to prevent anymore damage to the mechancials, electronics, etc of the car before it can be fixed/repaired/replaced.

My Questions:

Has anyone seen this code/message before?
What does in mean?
Can I safely drive the car in the meantime?
Cost of probable repair/replacement?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

This is a fault detected in the rocker arm oil pressure switch. It could be low oil pressure( check oil), faulty switch, or damaged wiring. Apparently could be a faulty ECM/PCM also. There's 3 pages of diagnostics in the shop manual.

Suggest making sure you have plenty of oil. If you don't intend to diy, then don't reset ECM and take to a Honda shop for repair. This should not be a big repair, perhaps 1-hr labor plus parts and shop costs. You can look up the pressure switch cost at Majestic Honda.

good luck

Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 PM

Is this a v-tech engine. if so cant let oil get sludge. passage to rocker arms that repositions rocker locks wont acctivate. will have loss of power. also as stated dont let oil get low either