General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Distributor installation error?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Default Distributor installation error?

I took out the distributor with #1 TDC. While reinstalling, I had #2 TDC. Could that cause my car not to start?

I posted earlier about my car (97 Accord SE) not starting after working on replacing some seals in the engine (oil in spark plug wires). I took out the distributor and also reset valve clearance.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Not really. The distributor has a "key" on the end off center so you can't install it backwards. Distributor timing is always the same as the cam timing, no matter what cylinder is TDC.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Distributor shaft has a key that's a bit offset from center. It IS possible to put it in backwards, but you have to force it in. If you're not sure, look down the hole where the distributor shaft goes, & notice the slot is off-center.

Also verify you have the spark plug wires installed in the proper positions?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The key slot in the camshaft is nearly symmetrical and its difficult to recognize which is the "large end". I have managed to mount backwards at least twice. Once i damaged the distributor by forcing distributor fully flush on mount base w/ bolts. When I discovered my error (would not start), I reversed and it worked by caused a CEL. I had to remove and repair the distributor (bent internal frame straightened).

If distributor will not go flush to the mounting base (slightly cocked) when you insert key into keyway, then installation is backwards.

good luck

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM

My mechanic says the timing is off by 180 degrees. Is it symptomatic to what TexasHonda described? Its entirely possible that I put back the the distributor exactly in the reverse orientation.

Sorry, I've end up running two threads in parallel:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=23707

Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you can install it 180 deg off , i have seen people do it , it means that when you installed it, the housing was not flush with the head and you really had to force the bolts in ..

when you replaced the seals did you by any chance took off the timing belt from the cam pulley ??
your distr timing might be off 180 deg by installing the distr off but if you did not remove the t-belt from the cam pulley cam timing should be as it was before ,,so assuming cam timing was ok before ,there should be no damage other than to the distr housing , it might have cracked ,,,and car not starting of course ..