General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Oil Change Intervals

I'm old school and like conventional Quaker State motor oil. Oil changes at the 4k bark seems to have worked for me in my 10 cars that I've owned since 1973. I'm looking at purchasing a 2015 Accord Coupe V6. Seems this car take a 0W20 Blend of motor oil with oil changes now dependent on a percentage '- some type of sensor that measures rpms vs milesge.

So what oil do you use and how many miles to you get between oil changes?

Old 05-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Question: With the very substantial improvement in both engine and oil technology, why do you stick with old school oil change intervals meant for old school engines and oil?

FWIW, I use 0W-20 and get between 7,500 and 10,000 miles on an oil change. I've sent the oil out for analysis following a couple of changes, and the results come back showing my oil change interval is, if anything, conservative.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:35 PM

I agree with Shipo.
Having purchased a 2015 Accord this past February, my Honda dealership has recommended the first oil change at 6 months or 6,000 miles. As with any engine, I would ONLY use the specific oil suggested by the manufacturer.
Food for thought though... better to be early than late

Old 05-08-2015, 02:59 PM

Also note that the oil percentage on the new systems is more complex then simply mileage on the vehicle. It is calculated by many factors which includes cold starts, etc. What the computer can not compensate for is the quality of oil... Thus if the oil is of poor quality and breaks down quicker then the better oils the computer does not know that. I recommend using a high end oil and replace it when the percentage gets to around 40% left. IMO keep in mind that it is the timing chain that you want to protect not your wallet. If it was a T-belt engine then there is a little more room for "playing" around, but that is not the case.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Is there a recommended time or mileage to replace the timing chain like at the 100 mark like toyota recommends for the timing belt?. Does the V6 have a timing chain tensioner like the 4 cylinder S2000?

Old 05-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I believe in using good quality oil. I just don't like paying more than I have to ...

Old 05-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Very controversial and debated topic for sure. In my 97 Accord (203K) I use 5w-30w conventional oil and change every 5000 miles. I also have a 2000 Dodge Dakota (83K) and use full synthetic Mobil 1 5w-30w and change that every 3000 miles ever since buying the truck new. Don't think you can go wrong just using the manufacturers recommendations either. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

1. The 2015 Accord's recommended oil viscosity is 0W-20, which only comes in full synthetic or synthetic blend.

Practically any 0W-20 oil that has the API starburst certification mark on it should be fine. The important thing is to change the oil at recommended change intervals and check the oil level regularly. The Maintenance Minder calculates remaining oil life from the last time the minder was reset; but, does not monitor the oil levels or tell you if it is low.

The MM's remaining Oil life calculation is not just based on mileage.

2. The V6 has a timing belt, not a timing chain. Generally, the timing belt should be changed when the Maintenance Minder (MM) shows sub-code 4; which should be around 105,000 mile (give or take). Previously, before the advent of the MM, later generation Hondas had a recommendation of 7 years or 105,000 mile, whichever came first (under normal driving conditions).

You can read more about the MM in this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-minder-52234/

BTW: Honda 4 cylinders with timing chain does not require replacement under normal conditions, only if the timing chain stretched, etc. (which was usually due to low oil levels, oil pressure, etc.) would the timing chain require replacement.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks rebull-1. Good stuff in your post.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by CitadelBlue
I'm old school and ... oil changes at the 4k bark seems to have worked for me in my 10 cars that I've owned since 1973.
I'm like you. I change oil at 1/2 the recommended mileage interval.
Why are you considering changing your proven habit?
Maybe because EPA wants less used oil generated?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Intervals