General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil and Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Cool Oil and Filter Change

Only use Honda ATF in my 97 Accord, but was wondering what others suggest for engine oil and filters.

I use Mobil clean 5000 5/30w oil and change out at 4K miles. I also use only Honda oil filters, but was wondering if there is a good replacement from the auto parts store.

I know this is a highly debated subject, but just wondering what some other Honda owners are doing with respect to their oil/filter changes.

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

I personally run royal purple oil, but thats just me. Any mobil 1 synthetic is good as well. I also run Honda filters most of the time, but K&N or Mobil 1 are good as well.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 AM

I would stay away from FRAM filters. My combo of choice is Bosch filters and good old Quaker State conventional. But I am sure you will get a lot of other opinions posted.

Last edited by bigdawg74; 04-05-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Wrong info posted
Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I usually always use Penzoil High Mileage oil and the Fram TRT filter.

However, this time I am using the same oil but using a Bosch filter which I have only found at AutoZone.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Cool

And I use USED Recycled oil and cleaned out Mobile one filter that Ive had for 10 years now..car has 201,991 miles and purrs like a kitten...

WheelBrokerAng....The choice is still yours my friend...

Auto Zone has a $12.99 special going on this week all over the country...5 quts of oil and a STP oil filter...bet you they will sell over 3/4 of a million sales of that this week alone...By the way that oil on SALE is Peak...

Last edited by WheelBrokerAng; 04-05-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Forgot the Oil ...
Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Default Used oil?

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
And I use USED Recycled oil and cleaned out Mobile one filter that Ive had for 10 years now..car has 201,991 miles and purrs like a kitten...

WheelBrokerAng....The choice is still yours my friend...

Auto Zone has a $12.99 special going on this week all over the country...5 quts of oil and a STP oil filter...bet you they will sell over 3/4 of a million sales of that this week alone...By the way that oil on SALE is Peak...
"I use USED Recycled oil"....... Where do you get that?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

I believe he is talking about oil other people have drained from their car...........and I think he is joking...........or at least hope so.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Default Really?

Originally Posted by live2rice
I believe he is talking about oil other people have drained from their car...........and I think he is joking...........or at least hope so.
I have heard about recycled oil. It's supposedly easier than refining crude with the same quality. A lot less junk in it. Most Americans would never go for it because of the stigma, so that's why it never to off. I thought I read this in Consumer Reports years ago. I hope they are doing something good with it.

http://www.innovations.harvard.edu/awards.html?id=47551

"In recent years, oil refining companies have developed methods to take used oil and re-refine it into a base oil which is identical to that used in the initial blending of motor oil. By increasing the supply of oil available and decreasing the waste created by its use, this recycling approach helps both the environment and consumers.

The Kern County Used Oil Program was created in 1995 to change the public's opinion and behavior regarding oil recycling by convincing them that a recycled oil product was as good or better than virgin oil. Once assured of the re-refined oil's quality, consumers were able to recognize that recycling their own used oil was the most beneficial option for both themselves and the local environment."

Wondered if they just do it or mark it as "used".

Last edited by Jeff247; 04-06-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard about that too, and maybe I'd try it if I actually found it being sold somewhere. But I have a hunch that Angelo's joking about that, since he also says he cleans out & reuses his old oil filter.

Oil threads are like religion. Some people have their dogma, and you aren't gonna change their mind. Discussing it here is nice, but you can get the REAL answer by having your oil analyzed. That will tell you all about YOUR car and YOUR driving habits.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

AMSOIL FTW!!!! RP is good too. Standard no-name dino oil is fine for 3000 miles at a time too. I've done consecutive years with Amsoil changing the fluid once a year and the filter twice.

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Change