General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Filter Leak

Old 05-24-2006, 01:33 AM
Default Oil Filter Leak

I recently changed my oil and filter using genuine Honda parts on my 05 Accord. After driving 200 miles, I noticed a burnt smell and checking under the hood discovered a large amount of oil on the undercarriage of the car. After some checking I discovered that the oil filter was leaking. The filter was tight, but dripping steadily, when the engine was running. No oil registered on the dipstick. I added 3 litres of oil and replaced the filter with a jobber, as I could not get a Honda filter. I needed a filter wrench to get the faulty filter off. Luckily, I still had oil in the engine when the problem was noticed. I have never had a filter leak before. My local service man said they have never had a problem with a faulty filter. However, this one definitely leaked even though tight. It could have cost me a new engine had I continued to drive. Has this problem occurred to anyone else out there or am I the only "lucky" one. The service rep seemed to doubt my story and said the filter could not be checked. ( I saved it for analysis.) I do plan to discuss this further with the dealership.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Oil Filter Leak

you might have had the wrong filter on there, or the old o ring may have been stuck on there from the previous filter

Old 05-24-2006, 02:37 AM

Always, Always check the old filter for the o-ring. I line up the two filters before i install the new one. This kills a bunch of birds with one stone. First, you will make sure you have the correct oil filter. Second, you will get some oil on the gasket for lubrication. Last, but definatly not least you will make sure that the old gasket has come off correctly. Do not ever tighten the oil filter with an oil filter wrench, hand tight as hard as you can but do no use a filter wrench, they are for taking the filters off. Nothing pisses me off more than a filter that some1 as tightened with a filter wrench and now it won't come off.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: lightshow

or the old o ring may have been stuck on there from the previous filter
That is a big one... I've seen that happen before. I always check, like said, that the o-ring is still on the old filter and I clean the surface that the o-ring seals to....just as a precaution.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:15 PM

hello DEv........first off .welcome to our forum...............
I will be honest with you.. i have changed thousands upon thousands of oil filters and have yet to see a honda filter leak,,,, although there could always be a first time........
I have however seen people not remove the old gasket or leave filter loose and filter leaks , as it was mentioned by others members here ,,

well,,, here is something i would try to be sure,,, if the filter is not punctured and gasket not damaged,, reisnstall it, start the car up , and see if it leaks again ,, if it does ,, ehy it is a first ,, if it does not ....

no offense but it could have been installer's error

Old 05-24-2006, 01:08 PM

I changed the oil myself. The filter was the correct one. The old gasket did not stick to the block. There is only one coclussion, the filter was faulty.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

I will be honest with you.. i have changed thousands upon thousands of oil filters and have yet to see a honda filter leak,,,, although there could always be a first time........
I've seen one, didn't even take it out of the parts dept. It had a hole about the size of a dime in it. I've seen a couple aftermarket filters leak along the seam also.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:57 AM

There is one more conclusion........the filter is loose.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:46 AM

ORIGINAL: davr364

I changed the oil myself. The filter was the correct one. The old gasket did not stick to the block. There is only one coclussion, the filter was faulty.

Ok.dav,,.......i just gave you an option to try to make sure filter is faulty, before as you said ( plan to discuss further with the dealership )
how would it look , if they tested the filter, installed it in a car and did not leak ??? I though that, before you might be thinking of pursuing the matter, you'd want to make absolutely sure that it is a faulty filter ..

Please keep us in touch on the outcome ..

Old 05-27-2006, 10:36 AM

they might put worng size of filter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter Leak