General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Filter Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Default RE: Oil Filter Leak

I don't know if this would work or even recomended for honda oil filters so take it only as a thought. The type of oil filters I buy have a set number of turns and then they say to turn it 1/8 turn back, I think to take the twist pressure off the o-ring so it doesn't get out of shape, warp or what ever. I've done this with all filters now and haven't had a problem. Can't say if this is proper for a honda filter but take it for what it's worth. It may have had to do with the thickness of this brands gasket. Always clean the surface that the new filter rests against and only turn it the number of turns stated by the model. Do not over tighten it or under tighten it. I always use a marking pen to reference the filter after the gasket makes inital contact so I know how far I'm turning it to avoid mistakes. Use clean oil on the gasket. Was it from the gasket area do you know, some oil filters case construction can be poor and have been known to blow as well. I've heard this about one filter brand anyway though it wasn't hondas.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:38 PM

Finally changed my oil again. I put the filter that I believed was faulty back on the car and ran the engine for about 10 minutes. The filter did not leak! I am still at a loss as to why the filter leaked in the first case. Perhaps a piece of dirt on the gasket or more likely, I'm thinking, some dirt or a small stone between the filter casing and the engine block. The filter was tight, but not really sealed.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have always put mine one by finger tight and then 1/4th turn. Works really well for me BTW finger tight is where you spin the filter on until it stops by using only the tips of your fingers and without using any force to turn the filter tightly. then you 1/4 turn and you are all set.