General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaking on spark p[lugs and intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Centrino
Unregistered
Default Oil leaking on spark p[lugs and intake

Hey,

first off, my names Mike im new to the forum and i drive a 93 accord LX

My mother bought me this car as a gift when i got out of the Airforce in 2004, was surprised because it only had 72,000 miles on it. I have a 1 hour commute to work every morning and i couldnt be driving a more reliable car, this things a work horse.

anyways my problem is as described in the subject. I know there are other topics on "oil in the spark plugs"but i'm getting alot of oil on my intake (aftermarket) also. Could this be caused by bad valve cover gaskets ortube seals? Are tube seals included in the valve cover gaskets set? 4 years ago when i got the car there was leaking around the edge ofthe valve cover, i bought a gasket set and replaced it. It eventually started leaking again. someone suggested the pvc valve was bad, replaced that but the same problem.Allplugshave oil except for the 2nd one from the left(forgive me for not knowing the cylinder #)has a small bit. I've also been told that my piston rings could be bad or lifters....i dont want to believe either of these. let me know what you think.

Thanks

Mike

here are some pics

this ones a little blurry
http://a431.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...a2ccc1538e.jpg
the first spark plug
http://a812.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...fe9b4ccddb.jpg
full view of valve cover with plugs out
http://a81.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/...2162fe2cf0.jpg
pic of oil build up on intake tube
http://a945.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...5396f2cae0.jpg

Old 03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Oil leaking on spark p[lugs and intake

Oil on the outside of the intake may be from distributor leak being blow back on the intake. Is there oil on inside of intake? This would indicate PCV is not functioning correctly; blocked PCV valve or hose.

On later models (94-97 Accords), the LX has the F22B2 engine w/o VTEC. There is an additional set of orings underneath the valve train assy on each spark plug tube where they penetrate the valve assy. I cannot find these seals in the Honda shop manual for 94 Accord, but according to everyone they are there. Entire valve assy must be lifted off to access and replace. It could you have a F22B2 engine, but I don't know for certain. This causes oil to leak into spark plug tubes, even though the valve cover/spark plug tube seals are replaced. Check the Online Manuals link for a 93 Accord manual. Perhaps it will help.

The 90 Accords only had one engine, but there may have been a change by 93.

good luck

Old 03-29-2008, 08:23 PM

93 has the F22A. Indeed the LOWER plug tube seals are leaking. Download the manual, this is an easy fix. If you buy a valve cover gasket set form a parts store it will include upper and lower tube seals, VC gasket and cover bolt seals. This job only takes about 30 minutes to do with socket set (10 & 12 MM) and a torque wrench.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Centrino
Unregistered

i'll change out these seals and see what happens.

thanks for the quick replies

MIke

Old 04-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Centrino
Unregistered

anyone know the torque specs for the 4 bolts holding the valve cover on?

Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

About 7 ft-lbs (84 in-lbs).

good luck