General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Light Blinking/on

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Default Oil Light Blinking/on

1991 accord lx f22 2.2 L Today after the car warmed up i drove it about 1 mile and then the oil light came on and started blinking. The night before i was driving it around and it was fine. I checked the oil level and it was at the 2nd dot. I added about 1/2 of a quart of oil and started the engine. The light was solid at rpms below 1000 and above it was blinking. Then i shut the car off and let it sit for 10 min. I started it up and drove around the block, revving it up to 2500 rpm and no more for about a 30 second drive, then sat in it while it was idling for about 2 min. The light never came on. THe engine however, sounded different, and there were wierd noises like the sound of something splashing about comming from the engine. The exhuast sounded weaker also.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Default RE: Oil Light Blinking/on

Do you think letting people know the year of the car and which engine might help?

Old 12-08-2007, 02:35 PM

take the car to autozone and have them pull the codes. Then post the code along with information about what kind of car (year, make, model trim etc) it is in here and we'll give you a hand.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 PM

sorry. 1991 accord lx 2.2

Old 12-08-2007, 03:48 PM

have you done any maintence work on the car lately? Is the car running abnormally hot?

Old 12-08-2007, 03:51 PM

also, if you can get ahold of one I'd check the oil pressure...

Old 12-08-2007, 03:51 PM

I just did a tune up 2 weeks ago. I talked to the honda service mechanic and he said that the oil pan might be dented or sludge might be in the engine and the valve cover has to be removed and the oil pan to check.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:53 PM

it's also possible that your oil filter is a POS and has some blockage. if possible dropping the oil pan and pulling the valve cover would be ideal but I think an oil pressure guage will tell you a lot about what's going on

Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 PM

could possibly be something with the oil pump or oil pump drive? odd that it stopped happening. i'd inspect the oil pressure switch for leakage.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:47 PM

I just went out a about 3 hours later, warmed the car up, and drove it. I drove for about 5 minutes at speeds under 50mph. THe engine sounded normal and there were no whines that were different from teh ones i had heard for hte past week. Considering the oil has been changed by jiffy lube or something, i supspect the filter is a piece of junk (fram) and the oil is cheep dino oil. Im gonna put a KandN oil filter on it and put in mobil 1 synthetic oil tommorow. It should make all the whining noises stop as it is slippier oil and the parts will move better. The oil in it is a little black. I also trusted the dealer that the oil had been changed recently, which was a mistake.

Quick Reply: Oil Light Blinking/on