General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency: Turn Signal Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Default Emergency: Turn Signal Help!!!

I have another issue with my accord. I do not have any turn signals at all. While driving today I hear a clicking noise coming from under the dash. I hit the turn signal up and down and I have no lights at all on the dash indicating a left or right. When I hit the switch down it the clicking noise becomes a lot faster. But when the switch is in the middle position I just hear the clicking noise like every 5 seconds. Now since the turn signals do not work I am unable to drive the car without risk of getting pulled over by the cops and getting a ticket. Could it be the turn signal/head light switch? Could it be a relay potentially since the clicking noise is coming from under the dash? Any advise would be helpful as I have no car now. Thank you very much and I really like this forum. You guys rock!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Turn signals normally operate off a "flasher". They are just about $10 and can be picked up at any auto store. This is most likely your problem.

Autozone part # would be EP-34, looks like this:

Most likely on drivers side by fuse block.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest first checking bulbs to eliminate that as an issue.

If you turn the Hazard lights on, do they flash?

Suggest to download the 94-97 Accord Manual from Online Manuals links. It has procedure to check your turn signal hazard relay contacts in the under-dash fuse box.

Hopefully it's the turn signal hazard relay.

good luck

Old 07-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Also, what happens when you turn on the hazard switch?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the replies all. I really appreciate it. I went out to the car and tested the hazard lights and they work fine. They are blinking when the button is pressed. Where is the "Flasher" fuse located under the dash? Do you have a picture of it? I saw something above the fuse block that looked like it, but I am not sure. Thank you for all your help.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

If the hazards are working, then the hazard/turn signal relay is working. The fuse for the turn signals is a 7.5 amp fuse in the auxiliary fuse holder. That is under the driver's dash too. See attached pic.

Attached Thumbnails Emergency: Turn Signal Help!!!-fuses.jpg  
Old 07-03-2011, 01:37 AM

I appreciate your response. What if the 7.5 Amp fuse is not blown? What would be causing the clicking noise when the turn signal is not engaged at all? I hear the clicking noise even when the turn signal is not engaged. Could it still be the relay? Could it be the turn signal switch? Thanks again.

Last edited by 96hondaaccord; 07-03-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Its not the relay, because the hazard lights use the same relay, and they are working.

The turn signals wiring is routed through that hazard switch. So, the problem is either with the hazard switch, the turn signal switch, or the wiring.

You can try this, it may or may not be very definitive. Unplug the turn signal switch and see if the relay keeps making the noise. You will probably have to remove the steering wheel plastic cover to access the turn signal switch electrical connector. Its only 3-4 screws from underneath the steering wheel.