Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Default oil light intermitant...

1991 Honda Accord 4 door EX.... my oil light comes on every once in a while...not all the time...and doesn't stay on..flashes for a while..goes off....when I turn off the car...it goes off....oil level is good...oil pressure is good....I was told that these oil sensors are sensative...when the oil is below level....like when the oil pump is pumping oil through the engine ..it reads lower because the oil is being pumped through the engine...so the light goes off....the manual says that it could be a problem with the pressure or the level....both are fine.....anyone?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
2005 Acura TSX

It could be the oil pressure sensor.

How was the oil pressure measured?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't know how it was measured...I took it to my mechanic he tested it when of course the light was off and didn't blink....how do I change the sensor? is it something I can do?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

It's right near, above I think, the oil filter. Cheap enough to probably fix your problem. Unless you really do have low pressure do to a worn out motor. Miles?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

if you have an aftermarket oil pressure Gage , check the oil pressure sensor mine broke so i have no oil pressure reading right now. so that would be the first place id check. Secondly check the wiring could be grounding somewhere that would cause it to flash.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

218K on the miles....bought a new oil light switch ...that's what they call it..easy to replace....i'll let you know if that fixes it
Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
1995 Honda Accord

Hopefully that mechanic tested your oil pressure with an actual pressure gauge. Thats the only real way to tell what your oil pressure is. With that many miles, your oil pump could easily be going out to considering all the sludge thats built up in there from all the dirty oil going into it.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

how do you know that oil pressure is good?? what were the readings?? at idle and at 3000 rpm,,

Always Diagnose First,,, Before Replacing Parts.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The light for example....didn't come on yesterday at all.....drove it all day....sometimes it comes on sometimes it doesn't flashes for a bit..doesn't matter if its cold or hot high RPMS or low...driving fast or slow..its completely random....I'm gonna replace the oil sensor switch....and get the oil changed in a few weeks....to 5W-30....that seems to be the going oil weight...unless you have some suggestions in oil weight.....Heavier or lighter? I live in Nor California...gets really hot in the summer 100-110....winter is normal...no snow..but cold
Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

oil light hasnt come on for a few days...then it came on randomly for a few min....lets say I replace the sensor switch for the oil light and it keeps doing this.....coming on randomly.....what should be the next step into finding out what the problem is?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Tags
1991, 2006, 91, accord, awhile, coming, flashes, flashing, honda, light, oil, on, pressure, pump, sensor, wire