General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive/TC lockup ON & OFF on straight flat hway

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Default Overdrive/TC lockup ON & OFF on straight flat hway

Overdrive/TC lockup ON & OFF on straight flat hway

Ok, my Overdrive/TC lockup is acting weird lately, its ON & OFF on straight flat hway, the rpm is jumping to and from 2500 – 2800 rpm, im running about 65mph/102-105kph, the 1-2-3-4 gears are shifting good only the 5th gear or TC lockup (I don’t know what it called). However this happen only when she is not fully warmed up before hitting the hway.

House to office: 5 stop light (about 20 mins) before hitting the 20kms hway to office – the prob occur only once if I remember correctly.
Office to house: about half km or less im already on hway – the prob always occur on this route for the past month.

• The fluid is red/pink, no burn smell, done 2x drain refill last oct 2011.
• Temperature is in normal range, no overheating, change the coolant early last year.
• No D4 flashing.

Base on your expertise, what would be the possible cause of the problem? Is it temperature issue or solenoid?
Will appreciate your advise

-ben

Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

thank you for starting your own thread, makes it much easier to help each person.

step 1) go to an Autozone (or similar)and have the codes pulled.

even if the D4 light is not flashing there could be a stored code still.

I know (think I know) that the 2 solenoids closest to the top of the transmission control the converter lock up. I would say step 2) would be to pull them and clean the screens with brake cleaner.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

I corrected my other post, forgot you have a 6th gen.....no throttle control cable.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

There are some codes that will not cause the D4 light to flash. Stop by an autoparts store and have them scan for codes anyway.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:38 AM

thanks, will go to autopart to scan for codes this week.
i suppose to clean the solenoid on the top of the tranny last time, but im having trouble in getting it out. i will search for video or pics on how to remove those things.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by darkgreen18290
thanks, will go to autopart to scan for codes this week.
i suppose to clean the solenoid on the top of the tranny last time, but im having trouble in getting it out. i will search for video or pics on how to remove those things.
you remove them as a unit, they (both of the top solenoids) are connected to a plate that has 10 mm bolts holding in on - IIRC

Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

M10 bolts are pretty big. I think you mean 10mm wrench-size.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 AM

went to autopart yestrday and askd them to scan my accord for code, but they don't find any. i will try to remove and clean the solenoid this weekend.(see attached pic). this is the thing i wanted to remove last time, but its giving me hard time, so i end up slugging the two like cone whit my small wrench, hoping to make it work properly again.

Attached Thumbnails Overdrive/TC lockup ON & OFF on straight flat hway-248015_rr_for_a_and_b_1.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 AM

Update: last weekend I was not able to remove that solenoid to clean, the clip is very sticky and it’s pain to remove so I decide to leave it alone. I bought distributor cap and rotor last time I was in autoparts for my next oil change, but I decided to put them that day, then I cleaned the plugs, PCV and throttle body with carburetor conditioner, its my first time to use this, it’s like a liquid foam. Then I drove it around and noticed she has better idle and has a quick response. So after two days of everyday route (home-office-home) the transmission problem disappear, the lock-up stay ON on the hway as it should.
Amazing that she only need tune up for her tranny problem, I’m glad she is ok now, but I’m still wondering what happen or is the tune-up related on tranny issue? What’s your taught?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Going in and out of TC lock up is normal, as is the RPM change.

http://hondadude.webs.com/Lockup.pdf

You are in TC lock up when the RPM jumps up, the hydraulics are spinning the engine. However the stored hydraulic energy isn't free so the trans drops out of lock up, regains energy and goes back into lock up when there is enough stored energy.
There is also a condition of partial lockup, when coasting or driving flat level road with throttle steady.
The reason it is more noticable in older cars is because of differential 'slop'.

Last edited by hondadude; 05-09-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: info

Quick Reply: Overdrive/TC lockup ON & OFF on straight flat hway