General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating & Slow Leak from Radiator '97 Honda Accord LX

Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 AM
Default Overheating & Slow Leak from Radiator '97 Honda Accord LX

I've had problems with my radiator ever since taking it in for unrelated engine work a few years ago. It would overheat after driving 25-30 miles. There was also a problem with it overheating and losing water even after short distances.

I bought a new radiator and cap and this slowed down the overheating & leaking but I still have to keep an eye out. After driving 25-30 miles, the radiator needle moves toward the 12 o'clock spot. When I get home, the radiator smells and needs to be filled with water, and sometimes a lot of water!

I'm a novice and trying to diagnose problems before taking it in for service, or DYI if possible. This may be a very simple problem to fix but I just don't know.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. We try to help each other here.

Since you say you don't know anything about cars, and your temp indicator is going to 12 o'clock overheat
during modest drive distances, and you have to keep driving it - you need to take it to a repair shop.

As a learning process, before/but especially after/ the repair is done, talk to the actual mechanic.
Listen to what he says and remember. Over the next few years of car ownership this
accumulated knowledge will give you ability to fix your own; doesn't happen overnight though.
Just start the process ... Best

My $0.02 - on the big picture.

Last edited by UhOh; 01-23-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:14 AM

A common and potential cause would be the thermostat is stuck in the closed position and not allowing coolant to circulate. Honda thermostat usually runs around 25 to 30 dollars and would expect to be charged between one half hour to one hour labor incase you were wondering. Let the mechanic doing the diagnosing. If they find that it is something ask them how they came to that conclusion for your one personal knowledge. It could be that the radiator has failed and once fluid level is down the car will over heat, could be a bad head gasket forcing exhaust gas into the coolant system, could be a bad hose, etc.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:27 AM

Turtlehead, thanks for pinpointing a specific part that may need looking at as far as my overheating radiator.

UhOh, I did not say I knew nothing about cars. I have to say that your response wasn't really helpful, as I am looking for an area that could cause the problem prior to taking it to a mechanic. I know enough abut cars to know when I've been ripped off by unscrupulous mechanics. That's why I came to this forum - to get a heads up before handing my car over to a mechanic.

I also read a number of posts here related to overheating, and saw very specific and involved replies with troubleshooting suggestions and possible parts that might need attention.

Again, thanks to Turtlehead for offering a specific suggestion.

And BTW, I came here upon the advice of an Autozone fellow, who encouraged me to learn as much as possible before going to a mechanic.

I have a few other issues with my Honda but after the response from UhOh, I don't have a feeling that I will get helpful info.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry you feel that way. Please know this is a forum and sometimes things may "read" the wrong way.

If you want to try a few things, give us a chance.

Me, I'd say fill up the rad and overflow. Put the cap on and start the engine. Keep checking the temp gauge every few minutes.....but in between look around the engine for coolant leaks - there is a small coolant hose under the dist that seems to go bad very often....for now I won't get into the "why" it goes bad.

There are some other methods you could try if looking around doesn't show anything.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a general idea where you have a leak?

Regardless, try to locate the coolant leak. Most parts stores have a radiator pressure tester that you can rent for free essentially. Check that your radiator can hold about 16 psi.