General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating - White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Overheating - White Smoke

My car is Leaking/shooting white (not gray) smoke and is loosing the water out the radiator through the exhaust pipe!!!! What does this mean??

Ive blown and repaired a few heads on my baby CRX 91, but am not Real knowledgeable of this newer 94 accord I do know my honda crx started and ran on only two cylinder heads with no tranny driving in 3 lolz!!but my Accord wont even start.

It wont even crank over and is now shooting nothing out the exhaust as it wont start?

First it did have a leak on my bottom half of the radiator so i replaced and the first time i cranked it over with no problems drove bk to parts sore to give em bk my old radiator and get my money back ran fine got a little hot but never redline figured it was still the waterpump.

Got all the way home went to the walgreens and BAM!!!wont start and was shooting white exhaust smoke and water leaking out the exhaust??Had to have it towed home Obviously im need a new head gasket or do i? but is this the gasket between the block and the engine??or top head gasket??Or maybe the radiator is not hooked up right?

Im pretty sure it is hooked up right n all as its pretty simple of a job in all and it was in and out in a hour..What is puzzling is why is it shooting out water out the exhaust now all of a sudden! and hour or two after replacing the radiator??

It got hot but never redlined!!?I have a waterpump new in box sitting in the car was going to replace it as i just replaced the thermostat (everyone knows how the water pump can be a PAIN!)so i was putting it off till tonight..Also if i do need a new top gasket or i guess maybe bottom gasket set?? that be bottom gasket between engine and head??

Do i need to have my top head bored out and shaved(refurbished).Basically right now Its what im thinking..If i gotta rebuild the head might as well do it right.Ive never had water coming out my exhaust only oil so this is throwing me off and then the not starting at all really is confroozing me? anyhelp?

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-05-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

This was at the end of another thread, so I started you a new one as this seems a bit different.

What year is this - is it a 98, that was the year being discussed in the thread you posted in. Also is this a 4 cyl?

Yes, sounds like the head gasket is gone. I can only guess the "no start" is either do to total loss of compression or the plugs are fouled by the coolant.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You could have a hydraulic lock w/ large amount of water in cylinder. This can damage the crankshaft if you attempt to start. Pull all spark plugs and bump over w/ starter. If you get geysers, you have confirmed head gasket leakage.

good luck

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The car is a automatic 94 Accord LX mechanical disaster!!.
We checked the head out it has compreshion of (138-140)in all cylinders.Does thie rule out engine damage and the hydrolic lock w/large amount of water?We did the compreshion test by taking one plug out at a time?They did not seem to be fouled up either.The car was running fine after the radiator change still a smidge over half way on temperature but we had not had chance to change water pump.Its sitting in the back seat of the car now.As, with its attempts to crank why bother right now( no more smoke) just a almost try to start.Its as if it is not getting spark?We checked the distributor,rotor and fuel pump and they all are working.We were unabe to check the engine control modulator thing??If thats even what it is why it wont start.
The day it cranked and never again an hour after changing the Radiator.I drove it fine to the part store and a block away from my home at walgreens shut it off and when i restarted it or tryed too it shoot out the white smoke(with water)and a smell of carbon as if to have a catlack converter clog?Or i thought engine damage but its getting 138-140 in all cylinder?No one has tried to put a hand up to the muffler to see if it has flow but thats our next step and too test this engine control modulator.all fuses are fine?it makes no sence to me..It trys to crank but is not getting a spark,but this also dosnt explain the white smoke n water inless it was the hhydrolic lock but it dosnt shoot it out now on trying to crank?Is their another reason why it would of shoot out white smoke n then not start?could it be some kind of sensor?

I had a Awesome lil 91 CRX that i had for 10 years!!!Replaced 2 heads,1 block ,2 tranys,3radiators,2 distributors,3 starters, had warranties on EVERYThing!I could change everything out on it diagnose every problem right away,but thanks to some AZZ in a ford F-150 running a stop sign and hitting me doing 55mph it was totaled along with my Heel(fractured in two places leaving me in a wheel chair for another month and a herniated c 5and6) My baby REX is gone so I had to replace it with this Accord Automatic EAsier to drive right now,has nice system,cold AC,two door and back seat was ok with it at first ..well was. the Accord came with all its mechanical paper work done to it since 2006 when it was bought from holler honda.It had a new engine and tranny in 2010 which cost the poor lady 2,000+++$$$Outrageous!Ive worked on allot of honda civic and CRX's but this is my first accord and it is starting to SUX!Thankfully my father is a mechanic and my neighbor is too and we are all stumped!with diffident diagnoses? I do Not have the chiltons book for it and wish i did as it might be of some help to why its not firing. ?can anyone think of what it could be else?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Also, to add the girl who had the car before me had the Water hose burst on 6.2.2012 on I-4 and it got to a quarter before red line so she parked it and had it towed to holler honda on 6.4.2012 where they did a pressure test on the radiator and showed no leak (I don't know how!! I think they just couldn't find it (didn't take the time to remove the bottom cover the radiator sits on)our thought it wasn't enough to cause over heat maybe)They claimed the radiator was fine?and also replaced all the hosing to the radiator costing the girl 160-200$ I don't have the record on hand sitting with me here, but it was an outrageous price.we discovered it with some good old cardboard box placed under the car .So we knew it was leaking somehow,somewhere so we removed the cover from the bottom of radiator (the plastic one it sits on) fans and everything in the way and found it right in the bottom weld it was leaking a quarter size to more a day.We replaced the radiator along with a new thermostat which holler honda had Disabled the thermostat by forcing it to stay open.We also with the cardboard box have not found or seen any Oil or water leakage since?so this to me I'm thinking is a good sign as far as the head an engine?With it getting 138-140 on cylinders and no leaking or am i wrong since it wont completely crank over.Ive always been able to do head pressure checks with the car running as my Crx never Died.It ran on only two cylinders and around 60 in the other bad two..with fans running hot so it barely would get hot even with strait 100% radiator fluid.It ran like **** but started up n got me to school 68 miles one way trip and 68 miles home fine until i had it all replaced.then it was golden with its new 1.6!But this car wont even start it trys but no complete start and no more smoke as it did when it first wouldn't crank?Its very confusing>sensor?still blown head?catlack converter clog?I don't understand what else could cause it not to start?and to why it blew out white smoke with fluid out exhaust to never start again??

Old 07-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like maybe the first post is missing.

What is happening when you go to start your car now? Does the starter spin the engine?

Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

PA-There was no first post. This was at the end of another thread about a 98.

Originally Posted by PAhonda

What is happening when you go to start your car now? Does the starter spin the engine?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question thanks for everyone help hopefully we can figure this one out as i am confused still

Originally Posted by PAhonda

The trimming belt seems to move so I'm assuming it is.right?We kinda ruled it out as the car is Almost Cranking but as if not getting a spark?( I have changed a few started on a CRX honda (NEVER a accord so this is all new ) The CRx never had a crank on one time and the other time it was a small week crank this is like the accord wants to turn over but just cant fire) Which we are thinking it could be maybe a timing slip?but we really don't know for sure..We did the other day before replacing the radiator replace the thermostat and was in process of replacing the water pump had the wheel off and everything hit the bolt before u get to the timing belt with a 500 impact wrench(the one u have to heat up) (sorry dont know by appropriated name I know where everything is and looks like just not its right name) and of course didn't work so we put it all back together to wait for the torch which was at my dad shop and still currently is(My dad is feed up with Hondas and has this like vendetta against them.I dont know why ? I love my hondas and once u getem going they go forever and are GREAT on gas!.He keeps persisting i buy a Chevy CAR. I have a 1987 Chevy 350 dual exhaust RV so i already have a Chevy hmph! . anyway WE never took the timing belt off as we couldn't get the bolt loose so maybe it jostled it around and bumped it out of line? but then again that doesn't make sense either really because i drove the car to a few different places for 3 days after we put the car together again so if the timing was gonna jump it would have messed up that day? or no am i wrong?I drove it for 3 days before we replaced the radiator (SEVERAL miles at-least 80 to 100+ with no issues).The same day i replaced the radiator it took the big one and now wont start..Never got to red line as in traffic it would start to get hot id bump my heater on and it go back down to half way or id shut the car off so it only ever got to a quarter past the middle on temperature gauge wise and when I would drive again it cool right bk down to UNDER middle temp.Never had the hot smell of radiator boiling or anything.IM gonna try to make a video today of it trying to crank,I'm in a wheel chair for another month but can have some one try to start it while i record so u can hear the engine and see it.We still have not got the tester to test the engine control modulator either so its still could maybe be it?With out the chiltons its hard to say which order of things need to be right to have it crank over as far as electrical and all that.If anyone knows please let me know.I know the distributor and engine plug firing order but not what all it needs to start the car and what sensors could be an issue with it not starting.If its even a sensor! all help is needed and appreciated.
+plugs and wires all look good
+Its getting fuel
+Distributor is working
+no more white smoke?Don't know what that was about before it took a big one(pressure is coming out of exhaust pipe *air flow)
+Engine is getting 138-140 in all cylinder
+all fuses under dash and engine side are working
-Don't know which sensor if it has one that would complicate it starting?engine control modulator?maybe?
-Don't know what all it needs to fire as far as sensors in all that.

Last edited by Toni Caudell; 07-05-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Im confused. We need clear and direct information to be able to help you. Just give us short answers with clear points.

REMOVE ALL THE SPARK PLUGS THEN try to crank the engine over on the starter

Does the engine crank over on the starter at all – yes or no

If No – Does the battery have enough amps to crank? Give it a jump if that gets it turning then ok if not and you’re sure the starter is ok then you have much bigger issues.

If it is still not cranking over

You obviously have a blown head gasket if you were blowing white smoke. The water is not getting lost in the radiator unless you have confirmed a leak, it’s going into the engine and through the gap where the head gasket use to be and is getting pushed out the exhaust. I am shocked that more damage hasn’t occurred… or maybe it has.

If you are getting water into the cylinders (sounds like you are) it can cause serious damage as water will not compress. It is very likely that water has blown past the cylinders and is now in the engine oil. This is also extremely bad as it reduces the lubrication value of your oil which can cause your engine to wear prematurely if not seize all together.

IMO you need to immediately change the oil and filter. Look at it and see if you can see water on top of the oil. If that’s the case you are going to have to ATLEAST replace the head gasket. Although I would suggest a complete tear down and rebuild if not a total engine swap.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Silver6gen
Im confused. We need clear and direct information to be able to help you. Just give us short answers with clear points.

REMOVE ALL THE SPARK PLUGS THEN try to crank the engine over on the starter

Does the engine crank over on the starter at all – yes or no

If No – Does the battery have enough amps to crank? Give it a jump if that gets it turning then ok if not and you’re sure the starter is ok then you have much bigger issues.

If it is still not cranking over

You obviously have a blown head gasket if you were blowing white smoke. The water is not getting lost in the radiator unless you have confirmed a leak, it’s going into the engine and through the gap where the head gasket use to be and is getting pushed out the exhaust. I am shocked that more damage hasn’t occurred… or maybe it has.

If you are getting water into the cylinders (sounds like you are) it can cause serious damage as water will not compress. It is very likely that water has blown past the cylinders and is now in the engine oil. This is also extremely bad as it reduces the lubrication value of your oil which can cause your engine to wear prematurely if not seize all together.

IMO you need to immediately change the oil and filter. Look at it and see if you can see water on top of the oil. If that’s the case you are going to have to ATLEAST replace the head gasket. Although I would suggest a complete tear down and rebuild if not a total engine swap.
Yes the engine attempts to crank with the spark plugs removed

yes Battery has enough juice to crank

No water in the oil

Cylinder head compression is at 138-140

Blew out the white smoke once and hasn't completely cranked over again since.when it blew out the white smoke it had a smell of carbon like a clogged catlack converter but the exhaust is getting airflow out of it?(did hand over exhaust to check)

While attempting to crank it now it Is getting spark but something is keeping it from not getting the right spark to fire?

Quick Reply: Overheating - White Smoke