General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just bought my second accord, seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Default Just bought my second accord, seeking advice

Hello, I recently purchased a 93' accord 2.2L 5-speed, with 154,000 mi, and now i'm wondering what to do about some of its issues. For starters, I had a mechanic do a pre-inspection, they pointed out that two of the engine mounts are cracked, and that the belts should be replaced. Looking into the belts; I had the drive and alternator belt replaced by a craig's list mechanic. While working the mechanic found an elliptical, 3-inch hole worn in the side of the timing belt cover. I looked at the hole with him and he suggested that I replace the cover, timing belt and water pump (through the hole he said that the timing belt looked like it was in good condition). He quoted me 300 labor for the three timing belt related repairs in addition to replacing the front and drivers side engine mounts. The driver's side engine mount has small cracks; the front mount is more seriously cracked.

Now for the sounds. There is a whine at low rpms which seems to emphasize a groan heard while steering at low speeds. The whine is there either way, and makes for an abnoxiously loud car while parking. Replacing the alternator and drive belts did nothing for the sound, and the mechanic suggested that the hole in the timing belt cover was related to the groaning sound. I thought that the power stearing pump needed to be replaced (previous advice given on the groan), but it turns out that that was new, so no I'm confused about the groaning while steering sound.

Beyond this, I love the way the car drives, it's so smooth and the handling is great. I'm hoping to have this car fixed up so that I can drive it for years to come.

Any comments on any of the questions from above would be great.

Thanks, from a new member,
driscollmv

Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

$300 labor for timing belt (plus maybe $150 parts) sounds like a good price. It was good that he suggested replacing the belt - they look good even when pretty old.

Duct tape over the hole won't last long, but you'll be able to hear whether it makes any difference. The whine might just be over-tightened timing belt, but that would make noise over all RPM??

Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i agree with Jim, about a possible t-belt to tight.. also could be a worn t-belt tensioner or water pump ,, ,,

remove both the alt-a/c and the p/s belt start the car , if noise is still there most likely noise is coming from inside t-belt cover area , if noise goes away ,, chk the p/s pump, a/c compressor /clutch, alternator ,,, any p/s fluid loss?? foam in the p/s reservoir ??

Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 PM

I would start the car up and see if one of the noises gets louder as you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right. If it does it is related to the PS usually, air, worn pump or belt tension. The other noise I would do as suggested but if you are going to change the timing belt you could have the mechanic test this while he/she is doing the teardown. The bottom timing belt cover could be wearing on the crank pulley and making the noise. They can lose their shape especially if you have an oil leak. If you do the timing belt I suggest water pump and the three seals to be replaced which are crank, cam and balance shaft, along with the belt tensioner and either just the bottom timing belt cover or both depending on condition.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Default RE: Just bought my second accord, seeking advice

Alright, thanks for the feedback. I'm asking the seller for all of the repair records. Apparently they did a head gasket/cylinder rebuild at 130,000. I'll see where this takes me.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM

When you mentioned the hole in the timing belt cover I was thinking it may have been done by a mechanic trying to save time on reinstalling a timing belt, or doing a water pump. A head job would fit if they wanted to get the old belt back on without taking much apart. I would say this adds to the theory one of the noises is the timing belt is too tight depending on the experience of the mechanic on Honda’s.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Get a 3/4" 'E' clip from the hardware store and put it on the tensioner pulley nut in place of the rubber washer, that was originally there.
It will keep the timing cover from bowing out and rubbing the belts.
Top Tech tip of the Day