General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1456 Code and 2-way valve hose connections

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Default P1456 Code and 2-way valve hose connections

Hello, I have a 1998 4-cylinder LX. I got a P1456 code pop up, which indicates a leak in the fuel tank portion of the EVAP system. The most likely culprits appear to be the two-way valve, the bypass solenoid, and the fuel pressure sensor. Here is a link to a picture of what my two-way valve looks like (sorry for the poor quality of the red labels):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50282235@N06/

Item #1 is the upper port on the 2-way valve and Item #2 is the lower port.

Item #3 is a short hose connecting the two-way valve to the fuel pressure sensor, which is mounted directly above the 2-way valve.

Item #4 is the fuel pressure sensor.

Item #5 is a line coming out of the fuel pressure sensor that goes...?

Item #6 is the bypass solenoid.

I checked ports #1 and #2 with a vacuum hose. With the bypass solenoid off, port #1 does not hold vacuum, but port #2 does. I used Honda Guy's tip and used a 12v tool battery to activate the bypass solenoid. With the bypass solenoid activated, port #1 still does not hold vacuum, and port #2 is likewise open (does not hold vacuum). In other words, port #1 is permanently open. Does this mean the 2-way valve needs to be replaced? The bypass solenoid?

Another thing that concerns me is the hose coming out of the fuel pressure sensor (#5). I cannot tell where this hose goes, but as you can see in the picture, there is a plastic "Y" splitting this hose. This other end of this "Y" is not connected to anything, but sits inside the loosely sealed plastic box that houses the 2-way valve. There are no other hoses in the area, so I have no idea what, if anything, should be connected to this "Y". Can anyone help me identify what, if anything, this white "Y" should be connected to? I would appreciate any feedback y'all could provide, and thanks in advance for the help.

-Rudy

Last edited by icanbne1; 05-16-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: ran some more tests
Old 09-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If you have found where that last "Y" line plugs into. I would greatly appreciate if you tell me! I am having the same exact problem!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 AM

Kobiewan, that was too many beers ago and I don't have a real clear memory of where those hoses went. What I do remember is that I got a tip on another forum to simply clean everything out real good and reinstall because gunk will build up in the valve over time and eventually clog it up. I removed the two-way valve and its housing (looks like a cheap little plastic box), disassembled it, cleaned it out by soaking all parts and hoses in hot water with Dawn brand liquid dish soap, I had to blow into the two-way valve numerous times to push all the gunk out (there was a lot of gunk in there!), cleaned through the hoses with pipe cleaners, dried everything real good, and then reinstalled. This worked and made the code go away permanently. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Lines seemed pretty clean. Just that one line is missing a destination, and it is plugged right now. to keep the engine running. Only thing is i am afraid i am putting too much back pressure on the engine due to this because after a while, letting off the gas throws the rpms around.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Dsr

Did you every find out what connected tot eh other side of the Y?

Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

The Y is a 3-way joint, it does not go to anything else.

See this thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...6-56517/page2/

Old 11-09-2013, 02:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The Y has an open joint so the purge control solenoid can purge out. Second line does not have a connection