Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Panic Alarm Wont Turn Off! 1998 Honda Accord EXL

Hey everyone, my mom has a 1998 Honda Accord EXL V6 and i took it for a road trip with only the Vallet key. So me and someone else were in the car while it was parked and locked and my friend tried to get out and the panic alarm turned on, i did not have the remote to turn it off. So it took about 60 seconds for the alarm to turn off, so everytime the alarm turned off finally, and i tried to either open any doors, unlock/lock any doors (because i had one key) the alarm goes off. So I drove 4-5 hours home with having to deal with it once at the gas station, telling the gas lady to not call the cops!, this was an ultra pain in the butt for me and my buddy, plus the other people following me.

Got home, grabbed my moms remotes, and thought the problem would be fixed right away, but the remotes did not unlock/lock the car at all. I was still shocked, and my heart rate was going a mile a minute. So i called honda roadside support hoping they would have a solution. I actually called the local Honda dealership and they said to try two different things but they did not work while on the road. Anyways, my dad arrives and i told him the story hoping he would have a solution maybe to the problem, or at least would help me fix the problem without it just being me. I pressed the unlock button on the remote to unlock the car, it worked!. I was like OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAISE THE LORD. I was gonna ask on here for any solutions, so I just wrote this instead because the problems fixed . Anyways, im sure someone out there may have similar problems with 1998-2002 honda accord alarms with the panicing problem and only having the key on them. So theres a story for you all, it's kind of an obvious solution, but i just thought I'd share that with you all. That is all, WHEW!.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:31 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I've had an issue with the panic alarm when the battery in the remote was dying/weak. When was the last time you changed the battery on it?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessAround View Post
I've had an issue with the panic alarm when the battery in the remote was dying/weak. When was the last time you changed the battery on it?
The last time was never, well maybe the original owners did but the car is not too too old but not to new, I guess. Only time we had problems starting up was once in the winter it was like -15. I think Honda made the alarm work by going off and not being able to disarm it WITHOUT the remote no matter what, so it's important to have a working one. If you do not have the remote or a faulty one and the panic alarm is triggered by accident, it has to be brought to the dealership i imagine, so that would mean you'd have to deal with the alarm going off everytime you lock/unlock the door, or start the car, or open the door. The alarm keep honking for about 60 seconds.

Also I will state the obvious that newer Hondas and Acuras come with a Key and Remote built into each other, so you do not lose the remote from the key like I did. That's the way it should be. But if that remote within the key fails, down to the dealership you go. And usually the remotes can go through the wash and still work afterwards, I did that by accident and was shocked. Good ol' Hondas.

Last edited by voodoochild16; 06-28-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:19 AM

Tags
1998, 2002, accord, alarm, battery, button, disable, honda, panic, remote, shut, switch, turn, weak, wont