General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord stalled and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Default 97 Accord stalled and won't start

Hi everyone, new to the forum.

My 1997 Accord stalled out today and won't restart. The details:

I had just started the car and had driven it about 2 blocks when it sputtered as if it were running out of gas. It was ok just a bit longer, then when I went around a corner, it stalled completely and I have not been able to restart--not a hot or a cold start. Battery is fine, it just seems that it's getting no fuel.

I thought maybe my gas gauge was wrong and I had run out of gas, becuase that's what it felt like. I brought some gas back and put it in the tank, no difference.

If it is the relay, that means I could probably start it cold, correct? So I'm thinking fuel pump. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Ren920
1997 Honda Accord EX, Standard shift, 198,000 miles

Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, get these codes (Check DIY forum for OBD1 procedure) and post them.

First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

These checks must be done when No-start condition exists. It will do no good to check when car is starting.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the CEL, Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition.html for guidance on diagnosing where ignition is failing.

good luck