Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil

Someone posted that Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil was a Group IV PAO oil. According to a written reply from Pennzoil their synthetic is a Group III oil, not PAO.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil

Good to know that. I posted that it was thought to be a group IV but not determined. Well it's determined now, thanks.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:56 PM

RTexasF: No problem, we are here to help each other. It may have been a Group IV at one time. I think some of the major oil companies have changed from Group IV to Group III since the production cost is a LOT LOWER. The characteristics are very close to being equal from what I have read!!! And I am not trying to start an argument with the diehard PAO advocates. Chevron and Shell use to make a Group IV synthetic, but they may have changed.

Group IV oil is made from ethylene gas which is present in natural gas as well as crude oil when it comes out of the ground. That bad odor that you smell near an oil well head is mostly ethylene gas. The oil companies probably use those two sources, but you can also extract it from coal as the Germans did in World War II. Isn't chemistry fascinating!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

on the mobil site it does list it still as a true pao base oil
Old 08-02-2006, 09:26 PM

has anyone tried AMS oil at all. i was gonna buy some the other day but its 60 bucks for 5 qaurts, synthetic. im not sure any oil is worth that much. i did see a deisle in houston one time that said AMS Diesle oil. never change ur oil again. but ... yeah.lol i still dont think its worth it.

why are F22's so underestimated?
Old 08-12-2006, 05:26 AM

On Bobistheoilguy it is said that the new Pennz Platinum is the newest group of oils or a type V. It is not a dino nor a PAO. This is for the latest release API designation SM.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:28 PM

Some of you haven't read my post. My statement that Pennzoil Platinum synthetic is a group III oil came direct from Pennzoil, not Mobil 1 or some other source. I believe Pennzoil should know how they produce their oil!!! And Group III oil is dino, not ethylene.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:40 PM

I saw your post. A senior Pennz employee asked the top chemist who designed the new Pennz Platinum what designation it was. The chemist said it was type V or EOP, I'm just trying to clarify. The old Platinum was indeed a type lll so I just e-mailed them asking clarification about the API SM designation. Don't get in a huff.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:54 PM

RTexasF: Review of my post might think I was, but I am not in a huff. I got my reply from Pennzoil about two weeks ago so their statement is pretty current time wise. Does their Tech dept. that replied to my question know what they are talking about? I can't answer that question. Maybe Shell is answering?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:05 PM

I didn't know how long ago it was that you had asked them. Just two weeks ago means they must be talking about API SM so group lll it must be!
Old 08-16-2006, 05:05 PM

Tags
2006, accord, bobistheoilguy, full, group, honda, iv, oil, pao, pennzoil, platinum, review, reviews, syntheic, synthetic