General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

plug boot popping out of spark plug orifice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Default plug boot popping out of spark plug orifice

I got a cylinder 1 misfire on my 1996 accord lx per check engine when the engine started spitting a sputtering on me. found that the cylinder 1 boot is popping off of the spark plug tip and causing no spark to reach the spark plug. It happens whenever it wants to. It can happen twice a week or 3 times within 20 minutes, I never know. Cylinder 1 is the only one that it happens to. When it wants to pop out it will. I just bought this car about 2 weeks ago, so I'm just wondering if the guy before me put the wrong plug wires in..... is this a decent guess??? Just wondering if I should just change the wires even though they are brand new and if anyone has experienced this problem. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A couple of possible causes but most likely is PCV system is not functioning and allowing crankcase pressure to build to the point where it leaks by spark plug tube seal and pushes the plug lead off the valve cover. Check/replace PCV and make sure PCV hose is clear.

It could also be a leaky seal on the spark plug tube allowing crankcase pressure to leak by. If you have excessive crankcase pressure due to weak engine compression rings, this might allow crankcase pressure to build and push the spark plug lead off, even if PCV is working correctly.

good luck

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM

thanks texas.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

More rarely, combustion gas pressure can be leaking through a cracked spark plug. But I think that would make noise like a leaking exhaust manifold gasket.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

any oil in the tube now or before ?? if there was oil leaking in the tube it makes the plug wire swell and not fit properly on the plug,,,,,,,,i would try some Honda plug wires first .. also make sure that the plug is tight

Old 07-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Almost A Senior Member

On my 94 Accord, I changed the Honda plug wires with NGK brand. I had a lot of trouble getting one of the wires to seat correctly on the plug, and ended up putting the factory wires back on.